Strange poop and sick chicken. Help!

Emrefvem

Hatching
Nov 26, 2023
I noticed my hen (Khalesi) was acting strange a few days ago and had watery, SMELLY, poops, so I isolated her. I have given her two Epsom salt soaks, used an anti fungal cream (thinking she had vent gleet), and gave her electrolytes. However, yesterday she stopped eating and produced these droppings. I have no idea whats happening and am really worried about her. Help!
IMG_4623.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome To BYC

Is vet care an option?

How old is your hen?
Can you post photos of what she looks like?
Does she lay eggs?
Have you ever dewormed her?
Is her crop emptying?
Any lice/mites?

The poop doesn't look very good, the yellow urates could indicate liver disfunction and/or infection. If you have an antibiotic on hand, you can try dosing her to see if she improves.

Welcome To BYC

Is vet care an option?

How old is your hen?
Can you post photos of what she looks like?
Does she lay eggs?
Have you ever dewormed her?
Is her crop emptying?
Any lice/mites?

The poop doesn't look very good, the yellow urates could indicate liver disfunction and/or infection. If you have an antibiotic on hand, you can try dosing her to see if she improves.
Vet care isn’t an option.
She’s 5
She stopped laying eggs.
Her crop is emptying. No lice, but scaly leg mites, which I’ve been treating.

I gave her some dewormer in her water, but don’t have a syringe to give it to her and she stopped drinking and eating yesterday. I have an antibiotic on the way which I’m going to try as soon as it gets here. She doesn’t look good :(

Attachments

• C6326CEC-8527-404F-9449-7B917578AD4F.jpeg
    C6326CEC-8527-404F-9449-7B917578AD4F.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 5
Vet care isn’t an option.
She’s 5
She stopped laying eggs.
Her crop is emptying. No lice, but scaly leg mites, which I’ve been treating.

I gave her some dewormer in her water, but don’t have a syringe to give it to her and she stopped drinking and eating yesterday. I have an antibiotic on the way which I’m going to try as soon as it gets here. She doesn’t look good :(
Poor girl! She's not feeling well is she:(

What dewormer are you giving?

See if she will drink if you hold a cup of water up to her beak, getting her hydrated is important. Wet mushy feed can be given to help with fluids as well. Bits of watermelon, cucumber, etc. can sometimes be enticing too.

For syringes, sometimes you can ask your pharmacist (CVS, Walgreens) if they can give you a baby syringe (without the needle), often they will give it to you for free.
TSC also has syringes if you have store near you. Several years ago I ordered bulk syringes off ebay or amazon, they were much cheaper than buying the individual ones at TSC, so something to look into. I still have a lot left and probably won't need any for a few more years, even with using them for deworming, medications, etc.

Back
Top Bottom