Lice/mites/shock please help!

AshG

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2023
Hi,
I am desperately looking for some help. 2 days ago my neighbours entire flock was taken out by a fisher except for one chicken. She appeared uninjured. I took her in as they didn’t not want to keep her. I put her in a rubbermaid bin, in a large dog kennel in my basement and gave her electrolytes and rest. Today I noticed her vent feathers were covered in poop and smelly so ai gave her an epsom salt bath and that is where my nightmare began. These tiny tiny super fast running black bugs started going everywhere. I went and purchased Doktor boom for poultry and sprayed her and the rubbermaid container but my fear is that I have now jnfested my house as she in still in my basement. Please help!!

Awe, that's sweet you took her in. I wouldn't worry too much as usually those mites want chickens or warm blood, not your house.

I don't know what your Doktor boom is as my virus checker blocked their site.

Permetherin spray or dust is what the vast majority of chicken owners use for mites in their coop and on poultry.

If you get the dust, one suggestion I saw was to put some powder in an old sock then pat it all over your chicken being sure to get the vent area and under her wings. You'll need to do that again in a week to 10 days. You could also dust the area she's in the basement.

I'd also try give her some electrolytes as no doubt she's in a bit of shock seeing what happened and vitamin water will help her recover faster from what the mites did.

Awe, that's sweet you took her in. I wouldn't worry too much as usually those mites want chickens or warm blood, not your house.

I don't know what your Doktor boom is as my virus checker blocked their site.

Permetherin spray or dust is what the vast majority of chicken owners use for mites in their coop and on poultry.

If you get the dust, one suggestion I saw was to put some powder in an old sock then pat it all over your chicken being sure to get the vent area and under her wings. You'll need to do that again in a week to 10 days. You could also dust the area she's in the basement.

I'd also try give her some electrolytes as no doubt she's in a bit of shock seeing what happened and vitamin water will help her recover faster from what the mites did.
Thank you very much! I somehow didn’t get a notification of your response so I apologize for the delay. Thank you! I am dealing with a new issue this morning with her now 🤦🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom