Strange Quail Behavior

There was one little quail that was very agressive. Meanest little bird ever. He was smaller than the other males but he didn't seem to know it. He was mean to the girls and picked fights with all the roos. It had come to the point I wanted to squish him like a bug. One day I just grabbed him up and put him in jail. He was about 6 feet away and could see all the others. Two days later he was pitiful. So I put him back and he's been the best little man since.

Your bird doesn't sound aggressive at this point to me but I've only been keeping quail since June. eHuman is a better judge than me. He'll probably answer when he sees this. My little monster had a bloody head all the time and at first I thought he was being bullied. Turned out he was the bully. Since his jailing my community group is peaceful and has been for some time. You will see him pulling the females down and not letting go till they fall over. Mine did that and he wasn't even trying to mate atm.

Last edited:
My only male does this part of the time. They are all about 6-8 months old according to the person I bought them from. None of the hens are bleeding, but 2 out of the 5 have a little bit of a baldish spot on the back of the head where he hangs onto them when he mounts. Is this normal or is it aggression? They don't chase each other, and they don't peck or pull feathers, he just hangs onto the back of the head for a moment. If it's aggression, I guess I should cull him?

That's absolutely normal - they will be his two favourite hens.

Whew, thanks! I was a little worried I had been letting them get bullied somehow.
You'll know a bully when you come across one. They are horrid!

We have a young roo called Spook (he's my avatar - that's when he was younger) living on his own as his only other sibling was a (slightly crazy) boy who plucked out Spook's coloured feathers as they started growing in, so he went to the pet shop. We gave Spook some silverbeet/chard today and he immediately starting making the low rumble, picking bits off and dropping them for his imaginary girls. I thought to myself - you're going to be a lovely, sweet boy. I did feel sorry for him though. We have another batch of babies growing up and it's looking hopeful for a few girls so he hasn't got long to wait - they'll be two weeks old tomorrow.

They're beautiful! I'm thinking of getting some butlers next spring. There's a breeder up in griffin that I would love to drive up and get some from. I've never mixed any but I think you've inspired me to try.

I've got my last hatch for the year at about 5 weeks old. It's suppose to freeze this weekend. How do you guys shelter your quail for the winter. Should I bring them inside on the days it will freeze?

As long as you keep them dry and the cold wind off of them they can handle freezing weather. I put tarp on the bottom half of the aviary, and still have many quail sleep in the open during 20°F weather.

Ahhhh, ty eHuman! I didn't think of this. It's a fantastic idea and I can't wait to show my hubby your pic. We had some heavy rains here and it's just soggy outside. That sure would have helped if I had thought to do it ahead of time. It's suppose to rain again tomorrow. Thank you.

Ahhhh, ty eHuman! I didn't think of this. It's a fantastic idea and I can't wait to show my hubby your pic. We had some heavy rains here and it's just soggy outside. That sure would have helped if I had thought to do it ahead of time. It's suppose to rain again tomorrow. Thank you.

You're welcome! I covered roughly 1/2 way up so they could still get some sunlight, and in a manner that the doors still open but the tarp covers the gap at the bottom of the door.

It won't stop sideways rain but there will always be a spot that they can get out of wind and rain.

Thanks I've definitely got to do this. My hubby isn't as happy about it as me. He said he needs a vacation from me and all my diy projects. Thanks for the tips! :D

Back
Top Bottom