"Strange" Question

Pullet Surprise

Songster
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
Moore County, North Carolina
I have an "odd" question.....what do you do to batten down the hatches for your chickens during an hurricane? We rarely have one come in-land far enough to effect us (although we have had a couple of doozies that did) other than rough weather but I was wondering how they fare during such weather and what the experiences of others might have been. Just trying to think/plan ahead and be aware of what problems might be encountered.

Having lived on the Gulf Coast for 50 years, I have plenty experience with getting ready for a hurricane and for my chickens, there's just not a lot I could do. I've a feeling that if allowed to either huddle in the coop or get out of it, they'd do best. There is other cover and I'd hate to lock them in a building that could be blown down. If I had few enough, I'd put them in the garage.

If your coop wouldn't get blown away I'd keep them in there, also shutters for the windows. Other than that, with a food and water source since you wouldn't want to try walking through it, they should just roost it out.

Back
Top Bottom