Strange symptoms, need help

sagealbright

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
My buff laced polish overcame what we believe to have been IB a few months ago. Since her recovery she has been doing great. Up until about a week ago. Suddenly she started developing strange symptoms. She had no balance, and when you picked her up she dropped her neck and held her head straight down. I thought maybe it was just the way she is from the IB. Then this morning when I left everyone out of the coop all the other chickens ran her over and she just laid on the ground on her side. I picked her up and set her on her feet. she dropped her neck to the left side and took off "running". Except she couldn't run straight. Her head was dropped to the left and she kept running in circles to the left side. Then she tripped over a rock, did a front flip, and just laid on the ground again. I picked her up. Looked her over and couldn't find anything unusual. Put her back down and she dropped her head to the left again and ran crooked the entire way over to the food. She's eating and drinking normal. She's lost a lot of weight and is the same size that she was when we got her at 6 weeks old. She's now about 6-7 months old. Anyone know what could cause these symptoms? I thought maybe she was blind at first but she has no problem finding the food and water.

I'm sorry I really don't know.
The only thing I can think of is Wry Neck. I don't know anything about it but maybe you could look it up

I never heard of wry neck but I will definitely look it up. I feel so bad for her. The other chickens keep running her over and every time they do she just falls over and lays there. She's acting like she spun in circles 100 times and is now dizzy and off balance. She was always a little "off" but we assumed she just couldn't see well because of her funky hair.

That is very strange as you can straighten her neck for her and it looks like she can maintain the strait posture for a moment at least. Wry neck, sure looks that way but I wonder if she doesn't have something neurological going on since her IB infection. You said she is finding her way to the food dish and eatting ok. Does that mean she is straightening her neck out properly to eat?

That is very strange as you can straighten her neck for her and it looks like she can maintain the strait posture for a moment at least. Wry neck, sure looks that way but I wonder if she doesn't have something neurological going on since her IB infection. You said she is finding her way to the food dish and eatting ok. Does that mean she is straightening her neck out properly to eat?

She can maintain a straight posture for the most part if I put her that way. When she eats she can straighten her neck out. It gets worse when she either runs into something, which is happening a lot or when I pick her up and put her back down. Then she just lays there with her head curled under until I fix it for her. I just went back out to check on her and she was acting normal. I went to catch her and she ran into a stump and fell over. Then she just laid there curled up like in the pictures. I fixed her neck and she ran crooked for a few minutes before straightening out. It definitely seems neurological. It just seems like she loses complete control of her body and can't fix her neck and legs unless I help her.

I'm seriously wondering if her neurological problems aren't connected with her recent bout of infectious bronchitis.(IB). I am finding some hits connecting the two, not specifically wry neck, but 'neuro signs' sort of hits along with neurological assessments for IB.

I'm attaching a link for you to look at. The left column about a third of the way down talks about IB in Pelicans causing neck problems and uncoordination in movement, wing, etc. Maybe what is going on with your bird is from her recent infection.

https://books.google.com/books?id=i... post Infectious bronchitis infection&f=false

I love a good assessment challenge. You can retire the nurse but you cannot retire the challenge of hunting down what is wrong with a patient.

I'm seriously wondering if her neurological problems aren't connected with her recent bout of infectious bronchitis.(IB). I am finding some hits connecting the two, not specifically wry neck, but 'neuro signs' sort of hits along with neurological assessments for IB.

I'm attaching a link for you to look at. The left column about a third of the way down talks about IB in Pelicans causing neck problems and uncoordination in movement, wing, etc. Maybe what is going on with your bird is from her recent infection.

https://books.google.com/books?id=i... post Infectious bronchitis infection&f=false

I love a good assessment challenge. You can retire the nurse but you cannot retire the challenge of hunting down what is wrong with a patient.

That is interesting. They certainly could be related. I also found another thread someone posted today and described her Polish doing the exact same thing. I showed her the pictures of mine and she said that is exactly what hers does. I asked her if her polish ever had symptoms of IB and she said no. Hers also did not have any previous head trauma. I looked into Botulism and was thinking maybe she ate something toxic. But then when I checked on her this afternoon she was running around fine. She seems to only act this strange way in the morning, at night, and when I pick her up. Maybe it's something with the inner ear that is throwing her off balance? It's very frustrating to have no idea what is wrong with her.

Back
Top Bottom