Strange wet spot in the nesting box...no shell or and membrane?

I was thinking of using the design of an angled insert, like what in shown in the video, but instead of mesh at the end I was going to fully enclose the area where the eggs will end up.

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately I am not setup to collect eggs from behind the nesting boxes, but I may use the rubber flaps to shield the egg collection area. I'll take a few pictures while I do it and post them to this thread.

I checked the coop before work and there was a rubber egg in one of the nesting boxes... maybe they aren't eating the oyster shells that I have been spreading around the coop...

Goodness, that's sometimes (now always) a sign of an older layer. It does take them some time to get used to and comfortable in a new place, hopefully that's all it is.

I think that's an excellent idea, putting rubber strips along the edge. I'd probably want to cut them into very thin (like spaghetti almost) strips so that the eggs would easily roll through. Smart idea, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

I took a bunch of great photos while I fabricated some roll away nesting boxes. In theory they worked great, however none of the hens want to lay in them. I ended up giving away the hen that I knew was eating the eggs. Since I gave her away none of the eggs have been eaten, and the flock is more cohesive.

Glad it's working out better for you. I do hope you let the folks know that the hen you gave them was an egg eater...

It's tough to get them trained to use a different nest box, but it can be done. Usually, the fake eggs in the nest do the trick, but there are other things you can do, as well. But, it sounds like you've got the problem resolved, I'm happy for you!!!

Glad it's working out better for you. I do hope you let the folks know that the hen you gave them was an egg eater...

It's tough to get them trained to use a different nest box, but it can be done. Usually, the fake eggs in the nest do the trick, but there are other things you can do, as well. But, it sounds like you've got the problem resolved, I'm happy for you!!!
I made sure to let them know that she was suspected of eating eggs before they took the hen home. No sense is unloading the issue onto another unsuspecting person.

I will be sure to post the photos of the roll-away box inserts when I have some free time this weekend. It was an easy and cheap fix that might be helpful to someone else.

@AlaskaGrown - excellent! I look forward to seeing your pics and most definitely, this will be helpful to others.

The rolled up turf was purchased at Home Depot for $24.99. The two pieces of ply wood were 'scrap' pieces found next to the saw in the back of the lumber department. They were 2 feet by 4 feet (11/32 and 3/4 inch thick) pieces for a total of $7.00. The only other thing I needed has a box of small 1/2 inch screws and a brad nail gun.

I measured the interior dimensions of each box and cut a new bottom insert to match (minus approximately 1 inch in length to account for the forward egg compartment). I then framed three sides of the forward egg compartment with the remaining plywood. The turf was then cut equal to the length of the bottom plus the height of the egg compartment. I cut the turf long and attached it to the front so the eggs would have cushioning as they came to rest in the forward egg compartment.

Back
Top Bottom