Straw Bales for Cold Weather

kdt_ntexas

Chirping
Jun 19, 2020
I had the idea of getting some straw bales to put in the coop, and placing them with 12" gaps, such that the birds can hunker into them and stay warm. Will they adapt that quickly? Is this a good idea?

This is a 6x10 foot coop and 9 birds, 1 roo and 8 hens

The coop is already pretty solid and completely dry inside. I have covers over the all the window, and just a trickle of wind might get though. There are a number of 1/4 in gaps, but in general they are pretty well shielded. I don't want to put an electric heat source in there if I can avoid it (although I have one on the way if I have to resort to it)

This is absolutely a good thing to do! Straw makes an excellent insulator! Just make sure to use well put up bales that are completely dry and change them out when they start to get gross. Also, make sure you have adequate ventilation for the dust.

Yeah I actually thought of removing the roosts also, forcing them to get down away from the vents and window cracks, and maybe also just cutting the bales and literally stacking 2 feet deep of fluffed straw.

Don’t worry about removing the roosts. There is no need to try and force them to snuggle down by the bales, if they are cold, they’ll go down by themselves. I also think you’ll be surprised just how hardy chickens can be when it comes to the cold. You will want some straw on the ground and fluffed up, although probably not 2 feet deep. When it’s cold, chickens try and conserve their energy, and they’ll have a hard time doing that if they’re trying to wade through two feet of straw. Fluff up a nice 1/2 ft or so layer, and if you choose, put a couple extra whole bales in there for them to sit between. Although, like I said, unless you have super light breed type birds that have a really tough time with the cold, I kind of doubt you’ll even see them there very often. Chickens tend to do very well with cold as long as they are dry. They HATE snow.

I have covers over the all the window, and just a trickle of wind might get though.

Regardless of the temperature your chickens need approximately 1 square foot of ventilation per bird.

24/7/365

The ventilation that is above the birds' heads when they are sitting on the roost should not be closed because humidity and ammonia will build up -- which can lead to frostbite and respiratory problems.

By all means use straw bales as wind baffles to prevent direct drafts from blowing onto the roost and to give them a sheltered place outside in the run. But it's far more likely that the chickens will sit on the bales then sleep between them. :)

These are my wind baffles:
View attachment 2524901

View attachment 2524902

Don’t worry about removing the roosts. There is no need to try and force them to snuggle down by the bales, if they are cold, they’ll go down by themselves. I also think you’ll be surprised just how hardy chickens can be when it comes to the cold. You will want some straw on the ground and fluffed up, although probably not 2 feet deep. When it’s cold, chickens try and conserve their energy, and they’ll have a hard time doing that if they’re trying to wade through two feet of straw. Fluff up a nice 1/2 ft or so layer, and if you choose, put a couple extra whole bales in there for them to sit between. Although, like I said, unless you have super light breed type birds that have a really tough time with the cold, I kind of doubt you’ll even see them there very often. Chickens tend to do very well with cold as long as they are dry. They HATE snow.
Thanks ... they are 7 barred plymouth rocks, 1 RIR, and an easter-egger roo

Back
Top Bottom