Straw in summer?

KimKat33

Songster
Mar 7, 2020
Colorado
Hey guys! So last summer for my run it was just all dirt, the smell wasn't terrible but it definitely was there. Come fall/winter I ended up using straw on top of snow to help my chickens. Now that spring is here and summer is fast approaching, I was wondering if it would be okay to continue using straw, even in the middle of summer? I have heard horror stories of straw and hay spontaneously combusting and now I am worried. I know a lot of people use sand or mulch in their runs, but I just don't have that sort of option. I heard that the straw will just decompose fast so thats why some people use it, but I don't wanna use it if it can just catch fire with the heat and wind.

Straw will mold. I use wood chips that I get for free by the truck load.
It slowly decomposes and makes a good dust bath medium.
2CAA8E144D14_1576340907409.png

Straw will mold. I use wood chips that I get for free by the truck load.
It slowly decomposes and makes a good dust bath medium.View attachment 2596149
Thats pretty :O
I have a disabled chicken who hops around on one leg, I wanna keep the ground kind of 'squishy' for her so its not so hard on her stub. Would using wood chips still be okay? The straw I planned on raking and turning, taking some to my composting bin when needed and adding more. Its also easier for me to get straw than woodchips as well...

Look into Chip Drop.... (google it :thumbsup )
They will dump them just where you want them...and they're FREE. I would also let the chips set, or age for a bit in the pile. They need to age. But, Ive used newly chipped bits, but only put in an inch layer at a time. after a couple weeks, I start filling in where they scratch them away, adding a wheelbarrow load at a time.
The wood chips are softer than you would think.... you can also use yard debris in there as well. Leaves, grass clippings, pine straw.... anything I rake. They break them down very quickly.... I also run the larger yard debris through the shredder. I will put down an inch layer of wood chippings, then rake leaves up and throw them in on top of new chips. We have a woods near the farm... there are always leaves somewhere ;)

Have never heard of that happening in a chicken run.
Where did you hear that?

Hay and maybe straw can spontaneously combust when stacked wet in a barn.
I was at a feed store and some other person was telling an employee there that they refuse to use straw because it will combust. I don't know anything about straw so I figured I'd ask you guys instead of just going along with it.

Thank you!

I have heard horror stories of straw and hay spontaneously combusting and now I am worried
Oh, so just one story.....about straw!?
I was at a feed store and some other person was telling an employee there that they refuse to use straw because it will combust.
Should have started with this^^^ and asked if it was true.

I also use wood chips. I like them the most. Our city has a set up where you can just go and load up wood chips for free. They make it as natural as possible and dont accept any treated wood.

Back
Top Bottom