Straw over sand in coop

Tnate

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2014
Cleveland Ga.
So I am a big sand fan for run and coop. With the move from north to south, I have discovered I am not a fan of sand alone on mains coop floor. I still have it under roost and in run. I started tossing straw down on main floor of coop....over the existing sand. The girls love it. Did I just create a maintenance issue down the road? It's very dry in coop so the straw has helped. I was planning to try a deep litter method, but not sure it will work with sand underneath.
TIA

Attachments

• 20230808_065133.jpg
    20230808_065133.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 92
Hi! I had a horrible experience with straw and won't ever use it again. My hen ate it and got a blockage. It took me a month to get her back to normal. I use chopped hemp bedding. It works marvelously.

So I am a big sand fan for run and coop. With the move from north to south, I have discovered I am not a fan of sand alone on mains coop floor. I still have it under roost and in run. I started tossing straw down on main floor of coop....over the existing sand. The girls love it. Did I just create a maintenance issue down the road? It's very dry in coop so the straw has helped. I was planning to try a deep litter method, but not sure it will work with sand underneath.
TIA
Welcome to Georgia!!

Well, you won't be able to scoop poops as easily.

What problem in particular has the straw helped?
I am not scooping where the straw is...more or less creating a deep litter sitch. I only scoop under roost and the run.
The straw has drastically reduced the dust. It was causing us respiratory/sinus issues...so I felt it must be doing the same for the girls.

I am not scooping where the straw is...more or less creating a deep litter sitch. I only scoop under roost and the run.
The straw has drastically reduced the dust. It was causing us respiratory/sinus issues...so I felt it must be doing the same for the girls.
I'm not sure that deep litter works without poop in the mix... I believe you either use a droppings board OR do deep litter. I also don't think deep litter will work on top of sand as sand won't compost (which is how the deep litter method works)...

Maybe someone will correct me. 👀

I'm not sure that deep litter works without poop in the mix... I believe you either use a droppings board OR do deep litter. I also don't think deep litter will work on top of sand as sand won't compost (which is how the deep litter method works)...

I am not scooping in the main floor area where straw is. I don't feel it will be a true DLM because of the sand base initially. Perhaps over time by slowly adding straw weekly it will get deep enough to be effective. So far I like how it is working...though I do understand that the sand could make for a very slow or ineffective process for straw to be effective.
Just experimenting and wondering if anyone has ever done this with success.

"I also don't think deep litter will work on top of sand as sand won't compost (which is how the deep litter method works)..."

Yes agree..which is my concern. I may just have to strip out everything and give the straw a non sand base...but how do those who have sand as a natural soil base succeed with DLM...🤔

We use sand and love it, dust has never been an issue with us though so I'm not sure why you would have such a problem? I'm looking at your coop, do you have enough ventilation, seems kinda of closed off?

I also don't like the use of "straw", be very careful as some types of "straw" will lead to a problem with mites if you're not using the right product, I've read on this site others have had issues with bugs and straw, but I know others use it and have no issues too.

If dust is a big problem why not add a little top soil to mix with the sand so you can still scoop it easily and makes good compost as well?

Back
Top Bottom