Stressed babies?

Addbatts

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2020
I had two broody silkies that hatched out 10 chicks in total. The most recent hatch seemed rejected and injured so I took it in and bought two more chicks to brood them inside.

But I have worry over the rest with my hens. They're in a crate away from the flock and have food and water. Weather is a little rainy outside for them but they are covered. One hen is pecking two of the chicks which are black, both of the hens are constantly scratching around and not technically staying still while the chicks are chirping due to being cold I assume.

Is it best that I separate the chicks and brood them myself instead? It seems like none of them are eating and drinking much and they seemed stressed. I know I had separated one hen for a moment before returning her and it seemed to agitate her. Otherwise they're decent co parenting.

Of course, you know what you must do. We don't need to tell you that newly hatched chicks are very vulnerable to chilling and injury and any number of tragic mishaps. Don't waste time over-thinking things.

I had two broody silkies that hatched out 10 chicks in total. The most recent hatch seemed rejected and injured so I took it in and bought two more chicks to brood them inside.

But I have worry over the rest with my hens. They're in a crate away from the flock and have food and water. Weather is a little rainy outside for them but they are covered. One hen is pecking two of the chicks which are black, both of the hens are constantly scratching around and not technically staying still while the chicks are chirping due to being cold I assume.

Is it best that I separate the chicks and brood them myself instead? It seems like none of them are eating and drinking much and they seemed stressed. I know I had separated one hen for a moment before returning her and it seemed to agitate her. Otherwise they're decent co parenting.

So what'd you do?

Back
Top Bottom