Stressed ducks? Not laying.

kvatden

Hatching
Aug 26, 2022
I had flock of 5 Indian Runners (4 hens, 1 drake). They adjusted quickly when I first got them (laid within a couple days, were out foraging within a week). Unfortunately, I lost 3 of my hens to a predator just over a month ago. I don't know what happened, but I wasn't keeping a close enough eye on them and suddenly my drake was back in the run with no hens! My one surviving hen was hiding in the bushes and eventually, she returned. They were both (understandably) quite traumatized. I gave them a little bit of time, but once I noticed that the drake was mating the hen again, I knew I had to find some more hens lest further distress her. I got a couple of eggs from the hen during that period.

A month ago, I added 4 new hens (2 harlequins, 2 runners). They were molting when they arrived. They didn't take long to get used to each other. One of the new ducks has been laying fairly consistently (it appears to be the same hen, anyways), but my original hen and the other hens have not laid for a month. Originally, I assumed it was the stress of the move (new place, new people, new ducks, etc.) mixed with the molting. Could they just need more time? There is clearly still some discomfort. They have a large coop and a large run, but they have only been out to free range a few times (I think this is the drake not wanting to go out more than anything else-- the few times they've been out has been a new hen leading them out the gate).

Yes stress affects the laying cycle of a duck. Also Ducks can be seasonal layers. My runners have stopped laying for the season, but some of my other breeds are still laying. I'm sure there are exceptions , but a molt is a sign that the laying season is done for that duck. They will lay again in the spring.

It is definitely possible they are just done for the season. I have 20 female right now and I am getting about 13 eggs a day, sometimes less. I am a bit shocked I am getting that many right now. Some stop completely after molting and others will start up again. It really can be different from hen to hen.

:welcome Birds hate change. They are still adjusting to their new home. Do you know how old the new ducks are? It may be a normal time for them to take a break in their laying cycle.
The new ones are 2-3 years old. The one hen left over from the original flock is about a year. The people I got them from said they were previously laying nearly every day.

Yes stress affects the laying cycle of a duck. Also Ducks can be seasonal layers. My runners have stopped laying for the season, but some of my other breeds are still laying. I'm sure there are exceptions , but a molt is a sign that the laying season is done for that duck. They will lay again in the spring.
Thanks for the info. I'm new to ducks, but from what I was told about the runners they should be laying all year round (these ones did previously!). I'm really hoping they start up again.

My Runners laid like gangbusters their first 18 months then they took a much needed rest. Once they got around 2 they took off the whole winter. Now they are over 6 they lay sporadically. I get out of 8 females 2-4 eggs a day.

This comment is exactly what I needed!

Back
Top Bottom