String tied around 2 month old Chicks leg

Moolinda

Songster
6 Years
Aug 1, 2017
Hello All!

We found one of our 2 month old Silver Laced Wyandottes limping today. My fiancee doesn't handle the girls so we had to wait until I got home from work to check her out.

Upon examination we saw she had a tiny string around her leg. The entire leg was incredibly swollen but was still yellow. We were able to remove the string with nail clippers and tweezers and used epsom salts to soak the wound and hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound. It was clear the string was digging into her leg, but there was only tiny scrapes no dripping blood once we removed the string. She was still able to walk on it, and I believe her toes were clenching after around my fingers we had removed the string. She was very vocal when I returned her to the coop. She had one runny poop and one normal one.

Has this happened to any one before? If so what are you suggested treatment methods?
Should I separate her from the other girls? We have 7 chickens total, 4 of them are two months old and 3 of them are 5 months old. They all get along fine.. we slowly introduced them and they live in peace in the coop. Will any of the older girls try and hurt the wounded one right now?
Also is there any concern for infection or permanent damage to her leg? She was walking fine when I left, running even. How frequently should we be cleaning her leg?

Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

I would not remove her from the flock unless they others are pecking her.
Can you post a picture of her leg?
I'd like so see what the wound looks like...it will give us a better idea of what to recommend, as far as future treatment.

Just went outside and she was resting with the other little ones. The only thing that worries me is my barred rock is sassy with the babies I don't want her to hurt the little Wyandotte.

Attachments

• IMG_5402.JPG
    IMG_5402.JPG
    516.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5403.JPG
    IMG_5403.JPG
    392.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5404.JPG
    IMG_5404.JPG
    843.3 KB · Views: 15
It's quite swollen so I would soak it a few more days in warm epsom salt water...nothing else.
It should heal just fine on its own.

She's moving around a lot faster today! In the second image I can't tell if there still some string there or if it's scanning. Is it too aggressive to check it out with tweezers?

Attachments

• IMG_5450.JPG
    IMG_5450.JPG
    481 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5452.JPG
    IMG_5452.JPG
    431.8 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom