Stripe on a Buckeye chick. Down question.

Actually, it was Janet Hatch's pullet

sorry, Janet, my bad; you may hit me when you see me. your pullet and Laura's are the best I've seen for color. I bet the chick that became your pullet was from Laura's prize hen as it looked just like her.

(p.s. I know a Julie Hatch here in Alabama)​

Last edited:
Quote:
This is good to read actually. I've noticed that my Anconas produce (IMHO) stunning male birds, the hens, only average to (maybe) better than average. I've heard of male or female lines in breeds like Dominique, where there is an obvious differanec between the two as far as colors and such, but hadn't thought about it applying to a self colored breed, or one where the males and females look about the same, marking wise.

Quote:
Remember too, the Buckeye's creator, Nettie Metcalf, said herself that she bred the males for the rich mahogany bay color and got the females' color the best she could. Buckeyes are a cockerel-bred breed. Laura's perfectly colored pullet from a couple year's back (followed by JANET HATCH's pullet (from Laura's line)) are very rare. I breed my females for production, size of egg, good body type --

Is it possible that it's because of the "gold s+/s+ or s+/¬_w" tadkerson mentioned above where the females don't get a double set of gold s+ but the males do? Or is it something totally unrelated to anything genetic? Or am I way off base, and it is just luck of the draw that the males are easier to breed for color than the females?

Is it possible that it's because of the "gold s+/s+ or s+/¬_w" tadkerson mentioned above where the females don't get a double set of gold s+ but the males do? Or is it something totally unrelated to anything genetic? Or am I way off base, and it is just luck of the draw that the males are easier to breed for color than the females?

From my perspective, it is because Metcalf selected for the better color in the males. As some breeders have been breeding to get better color in the females, we are starting to see those results (i.e. Schrider & Laura). I select for traits I want to improve and do not worry about the genetics.​

Quote:
Remember too, the Buckeye's creator, Nettie Metcalf, said herself that she bred the males for the rich mahogany bay color and got the females' color the best she could. Buckeyes are a cockerel-bred breed. Laura's perfectly colored pullet from a couple year's back (followed by JANET HATCH's pullet (from Laura's line)) are very rare. I breed my females for production, size of egg, good body type --

The gold gene is sex linked. In chickens, males have two Z chromosomes (sex chromosomes) so they can have the following: two gold alleles or a silver and a gold allele or two silver alleles. Males that have two silver alleles are silver as in the columbian pattern or silver duckwing ( theses are two common color patterns I picked). Females only have one Z chromosome and a W chromosome therefore they only have a silver or a gold allele.

Through selection an individual can bred toward an even color on columbian restricted and gold birds. I did this with my rhode island red. You still may hatch a few off color birds. It has been my experience that males were more difficult to get one even color. Others could have a different experience.

My males were darker in the pyle zone.

13371_13371_rir2.jpg

My females were nice and even colored.

13371_rir_hen.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:

I do not know where cgmccary got the information or how he or she interpreted the information. In my book buckeye are black tailed red, light brown leghorn are B B Red and dark brown leghorns are partridge. The Dark brown leghorn's E locus is called brown now or e^b; at one time the brown allele was called partridge (e^p) but changed to brown. This partridge is not to be confused with the partridge variety (partrideg rock) which is penciled.

They are correct in that buckeye are not a columbian red- this does not mean they are not columbian restricted; they are columbian restricted. If I am on the same page as cgmccary, a columbian red would be a completely red bird. Buckeye have a black tail-therefore buck eye are black-tailed red.

I believe cgmccary was referring to columbian as in silver columbian (columbian rock)- a gold columbian would be buff columbian ( brahma).

Buckeye genotype- for mahogany red birds

wheaten ey/ey or ewh/ewh, columbian Co/Co, mahogany Mh/Mh, gold s+/s+ or s+/¬_w , yellow skin w/w , yellow shanks due to w, ey and Id , slow feathering K/K or K/_w, dermal melanin inhibitor Id/Id or Id/_W, pea comb P/P r+/r+, genes for red ear lobes, genes for reddish bay eye color, any red under color is due to wheaten and mahogany, genes for brown egg color o+/o+.

I do not know why the back under color (gray) would be different than the under color on the rest of the bird. The body type is similar to a cornish game and has been selected for through breeding.

I do not believe buckeye carry the dark brown gene. The color is different in wheaten and dark brown restricted birds- the color is not the red found in the buckeye but a burnt orange or reddish orange color.

Tim
I know this is an old post, but it's still being viewed, so.

The Db(darkbrown) pattern restriction gene is very similar to the pattern restriction gene Co(Columbia). Db(darkbrown) is commonly referred to as black tail. It doesn't really matter which pattern restriction gene a Buckeye has, but if you're particularly interested in knowing what it is you are working with Co(Columbia) or Db(darkbrown), just; breed one of your Buckeyes to a chicken who's E locus foundation color is ER(birchen). If your Buckeyes are Co(Columbia), than it won't restrict the pattern of the offspring. As ER(birchen) is dominant to eWh(dominant wheaten), and ey(recessive wheaten) all chicks will be ER(birchen), and the Co(Columbia) gene has no effect on the foundation color ER(birchen). If your Buckeyes have the Db(darkbrown) pattern restriction gene than the offsprings overall appearance should look similar to a Buckeye, as Db(darkbrown) works just fine on the foundation color ER(birchen).
So that's how you can tell the difference between the two.

Back
Top Bottom