Struggling chick

lizzie1221

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 9, 2016
I have 20 baby chicks from tractor supply. All are healthy but one. They are now 7 days old and this one is about twice as big as the others. It is pooping but its stomach is abnormally large and she can walk but chooses to lie down lately. Any ideas? I’ve raised and hatched chickens for a long time and never seen this before.

76880156-638D-495D-864D-47FE64E7343D.jpeg

Attachments

• 247C4581-FD22-41F2-9FE2-4B4922168BC3.jpeg
    247C4581-FD22-41F2-9FE2-4B4922168BC3.jpeg
    473.4 KB · Views: 1
What breed is she supposed to be? Is she eating & drinking regularly?

If she is, and seems healthy except for being fat & lazy, I’d say she might be a meat bird that got mixed in by mistake?
She's supposed to be a leghorn. she is eating and drinking just not very active. I've never had a meat chicken so that would be great if that's the problem. Thanks for the insight

I agree, I think you have a meat bird on your hands.

They grow a lot faster, so she may begin to have some leg issues. I'd be inclined to give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex once daily for a week, then taper off to 3X a week. The B2(Ribloflavin) can help with leg health and B Vitamins are water soluble, so there shouldn't be a concern of giving too much, any excess is excreted in the urine.

Once she gets older if you plan on trying to keep her and prolong life, then you'll need to encourage exercise and perhaps limit her food intake. A few here on BYC have successfully kept a few that lived to be around 2yrs old before they declined, but they were managed carefully. Sadly, many won't make it that long since they are bred to be processed at around 8-10wks or so.

Back
Top Bottom