Struggling chick!!!

deborasmith

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
Hey guys, that was my egg to peep, that was Thrusday. By last night everyone else had been hatched for almost 4 days, so I had to open the incubator and take them. This little guy had been exactly the same since Thrusday, big hole on shell, but no further development, we decided to intervene and we wet his membrane that by then was stuck to him and carefully “birthed” him.
He’s alert and moving, his legs and feet are messed up, I’ll have to do something about that later, but now my concern is he isn’t wet or dry, he just has this goo dried on his feathers and skin and I can’t take him out of the incubator because he gets soooo cold, but he’s also not really fluffing up at all.
How do I help him? Any tips?

Attachments

• 8746A9A9-38E1-483F-826F-F2B54CF23E2C.jpeg
    8746A9A9-38E1-483F-826F-F2B54CF23E2C.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 15
  • A15E8C32-3B40-4698-9761-86CE71C50208.jpeg
    A15E8C32-3B40-4698-9761-86CE71C50208.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 2
Wow! So amazing, that's a little survivor.

What I would do is hold the chick in your hands and gently slough off the dried goo. It may take a little while, he should stay warm in your hands as you rub it off. 💗.

Congratulations!

Hey guys, that was my egg to peep, that was Thrusday. By last night everyone else had been hatched for almost 4 days, so I had to open the incubator and take them. This little guy had been exactly the same since Thrusday, big hole on shell, but no further development, we decided to intervene and we wet his membrane that by then was stuck to him and carefully “birthed” him.
He’s alert and moving, his legs and feet are messed up, I’ll have to do something about that later, but now my concern is he isn’t wet or dry, he just has this goo dried on his feathers and skin and I can’t take him out of the incubator because he gets soooo cold, but he’s also not really fluffing up at all.
How do I help him? Any tips?
I've got one very similar (difficult hatch yesterday), separated in a different brooder for now with two other chicks. His back is very rough, like dried albumen and there are hardly any down feathers. I'm considering giving him a gentle warm bath, but afraid it will shock his system too much. So I'm curious what the solution is, too. Thanks for posting the question.

I've got one very similar (difficult hatch yesterday), separated in a different brooder for now with two other chicks. His back is very rough, like dried albumen and there are hardly any down feathers. I'm considering giving him a gentle warm bath, but afraid it will shock his system too much. So I'm curious what the solution is, too. Thanks for posting the question.
I considered a bath also, and maybe dry him with a blow drier veeeery far away and gently, but I wasn’t sure it was what I was supposed to do haha

I considered a bath also, and maybe dry him with a blow drier veeeery far away and gently, but I wasn’t sure it was what I was supposed to do haha
I cuddled him in a soft towel for warmth, and used a soft cloth with warm water to bathe his back only. It didn't do much, still felt like a brillo pad or beard stubble. Maybe NOT anything dried on his back, just an oddity or he rubbed it raw while trying to hatch? I dunno. So I dabbed it dry, then applied some warm coconut oil to his back and put him back in the brooder, fingers crossed. That was about 4 hours ago. Just now, his back feathers feel softer, just very very short, and he's doing fine. It'll be interesting to see what grows out there.

How is he doing? Could you do a warm sponge bath, maybe with cotton balls and baby shampoo or just plain water?
I wonder also if he's there are no other eggs to hatch, could you clean him up and then put him back in the DRY incubator to dry off?

Give him some sugar water, in a medicine dropper if necessary. Or Nutri Drench with water. Just one or two drops. Apply it to the side of his beak and he'll swallow. See if you can get him to eat some scrambled egg with moist chick starter mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom