Stubborn Brooding Hen

littleandlewis

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
We have a Speckled Sussex hen ( about 18 Months old) who refuses to stop brooding. She has sat in the nest box for 3 months now. We have removed the eggs from the nest regularly ( the other 6 hens continue to lay in the same box), we have " thrown her off" the nest into the coop, and we have even tried the ice cube treatment. ( all she did was mover over off the ice)

I am beginning to worry about her health.

Any suggestions to break this cycle?

Thanks

After 3 months, I too would worry about her health. Move her out of the coop into another pen, crate, enclosure, and don't allow her back into the coop until she stops trying to set. Brooding can be a debilitating process.

Yikes, I have two broody hens who have been setting now for more than five weeks on empty nests...yep, NO eggs under them....should I be doing something or just let them be?
It has been two weeks since one got up to walk around and nearly that long for the other.....I don't know what to do......I don't even know what a normal time span for broodiness is....
Could they die this way?

(Sorry, littleandlewis, don't mean to hijack your thread....it appears we both have the same problem and am hoping we can find answers from the more experienced here)

Back
Top Bottom