stjohn19

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2016
So I have had chickens for many years and this, was the first time this has ever happened to me. To say the least it was an interesting experience for not only peanut but also myself.

I got the egg out safely but everything has not gone back to normal. Anyone have any experience with this?
IMG_20171124_174819.jpg
IMG_20171124_174818_1.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 1
How did you get the egg out? The poor sweetie’s reproductive tract looks traumatized. If there is any way to stop the laying, I think that is important right now. Can you keep her in a dark room for a couple days? She needs supportive care like heat and fluids. Maybe a bit of protein treat like egg or tunato help recover from the blood loss. I am concerned her reprodutive tract may have sustained permanent damage, but hopefully it’s just inflamed and needs a rest. I also wonder if an epsom salt bath might help or if she’s too weak for that right now. Or too raw and open. I sincerely hope someone more experienced chimes in.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous @rebrascora

I can't see clearly in the photos but I am guessing that she is prolapsed. I would give her an Epsom salts bath and get her cleaned up and then apply some haemorrhoid cream or honey to the protruding parts and with a disposable gloved hand try to gently push them back inside and hold them in place with your finger inside. You will probably feel her spasming and trying to expel your finger but hold it until she stops spasming and then gently remove your finger and hopefully it will stay in place. If not apply more cream or honey and repeat. It's important not to let that protruding tissue dry out, so check it regularly and keep it covered with cream or honey pushed back in whenever necessary.
As someone else said, you really want to discourage her from laying for a few days, so keeping her in a dark box with clean bedding will help to keep her calm and quiet and discourage laying until she has a chance to heal. Let her out for half an hour or so to eat and drink 3 or 4 times a day and then back into the box to sleep. A vitamin supplement and some raw liver or eggs should help her to heal.

@micstrachan and @rebrascora have given good advice. I'll just add that Vetericyn sprayed after the Epsom soak, repeating every so often for the next couple days is good first aid. If the tissue is slow to shrink back, Prep H can help.

She should be kept from being exposed to more than 12 hours of light per day to discourage egg laying for the next week or so until the tissue returns to normal. Calcium supplements can also help with this.

This may now be a chronic issue with this hen, so she will need to be watched in case it happens again.

Her vent certainly appears bloody, as is the egg, but she is not necessarily actively bleeding (no puddle of blood on the floor under her vent) and even if she is, it would not change my advice unless it was a serious haemorrhage. The chances are she has a little tear somewhere in or around her vent. It needs to be cleaned and a soak in warm Epsom salts should help to clean and heal it.

I agree with @micstrachan @rebrascora and @azygous

The soaking, cleaning, applying ointment and keeping her in the dark is good advice. Keep her drinking. The calcium will hopefully help with contractions.

It is hard to tell if the blood is from torn tissue, other chickens picking at it or something else. You will want to keep her separated.
As mentioned previously, it is very important to keep the tissue moist with ointment/prep H, etc. and not let it dry it - it can become necrotic and die. Sometimes a prolapse that severe can take several days to shrink enough to go back in, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't immediately go back in. Let her rest between tries and watch that she doesn't get too stressed.

@CorvusFarm an avian vet is always the best choice. If the OP has the funds and a vet in their area that is willing to see a chicken, that is a great option. Unfortunately, sometimes vet care is not available or just plain too expensive. We all wish these things were not true, but it is. Sometimes the only thing we can do is to give the best home care we can, hope for the best - then if needed, make a tough decision and kindly put a beloved chicken out of their misery.

Back
Top Bottom