Stuck egg

I posted the original problem. My hens didn't like to be held either so I put on gardening gloves and caught her. I used them every time I picked her up. I gave her a warm, not hot, bath to soak her bottom. I kept her in a box in my bathroom with a towel draped over the top. I fed her scrambled eggs. No layer mash or corn and as little light as possible. It will stimulate egg production. I had some surgical gloves that I wore while she was in the bath and would clean the poo off her feathers and try to untwist it a little bit. The warm water helped with lubrication and helped her relax. When the egg finally came out, I had no idea and was preparing a bath for her and was ready to cut a slice in the vent to get it. It had been a week. She laid another egg that day, probably backed up. I cleaned her again and put honey on the vent. The honey draws the vent back in and is good against infection. I kept her in for another week before I put back in the coop. She is a trooper and still one of my best producers. Nice large eggs. Good luck. It's scary.

We had a stuck egg today, she was really in pain and not eating. Put her in warm bath and it worked, first thing she did was poo a lot in the tub, we kept her warm and dark until she dried and placed her back in the coop and she laid an egg in about 45 min. My daughter who is 13 did this all on her own with me on the phone at work. She heard her when she got off the bus and was really scared. These are our first chickens and they have only been laying for about 3 weeks, this chicken had laid an egg every day since starting, I wonder why this one got stuck?

I have a RIR going thru this right now. We call her Brave because she was attacked by a hawk and won! She's a feisty one and we were scared to bathe her bit she relaxed right into it and let me mess with her. I pulled a bit of broken, very soft shell out and cleaned her up. Put her in a kennel in the shade. Put honey on too. Just need to know what else I should do or keep an eye out for. She's working that muscle like crazy but nothing is coming out. If it was broken, does that mean she's all clear?

I would try to keep her shaded for a few days and let it heal a bit. There may be one behind it that hasn't come down yet or pieces of the broken shell.

Thanks. When I went to check, she had knocked over food and water in the kennel. I let her out to clean it up and she took off grazing so I just let her be. She definitely seemed better but I will keep watching her. I tried to upload a pic but I can't figure it out. Thanks again!

I appreciate the ideas on this thread......I can't tell if one of my girls is dealing w/ a sour crop or a stuck egg :(. She's NOT pooping, a little white squirt w/ some tiny pieces of greens is all. Her crop is full of air, and she's throwing up quite a bit. Throw up is brown. Won't eat or drink so I'm giving her electrolyte water by syringe and I've given her mineral oil 2x, thinking it was sour crop. Not sure what I'm feeling for w/ regards to an egg possibly stuck in her rear :(. She has looked like she's squatting, with her wings kinda wide, puffed out so I'm concerned that she's been "stopped up" for a long time and perhaps it's effected her entire digestive system? I don't know :(. HELP!

Back
Top Bottom