Stuck egg

Tammy62

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
I have a buff orpington hen with Prolapse? with a stuck egg. I can feel the egg so I'm assuming it is prolapse. It is red and bulbous looking. It is swinging behind her when she ran away from me. She doesn't appear to be in pain except walking a little funny. I would be too so I figured that was "normal". She was eating and drinking earlier. I caught her and put her in a dog crate and brought her in the house. I put some honey on her bottom. That's when I felt the egg. Is this what I'm supposed to do? Am I supposed to do anything else? She's a good girl and my daughter's favorite. Her name is Grilled Cheese. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would put her in a warm bath to soak the area, and keep her in a darkened, quiet place til she passes it, if she can.

Good luck.

Any idea how long this should be? She hasn't passed it yet. It's been at least 24 hours. I gave her a bath last night and again tonight. She is still eating and pooping - not sure how. She seemed like she may be hurt a little bit after the bath, but could be that I irritated it trying to clean all the poo off her feathers. I can see the egg clearly in the tube. I can't seem to find any other posts about this particular problem.

I can't find the end of the vent. The egg is in the prolapse. The whole tube is out.

Last edited:
She passed the egg on her own. I cleaned up the vent and applied a lot of honey. So far so good. Thank you for all your help and advice.

Quote:
Woa, good news. Just be aware that prolapse tends to be a recurring condition, so be on the lookout for it again.
sad.png

Nice work helping your girl out!

So glad to hear your girl is doing better, I haven't had that kind of issue
yet....But thats why i love Byc!! We al l share and learn .

Wow! That must have been a scary thing! How often does that happen? What does the honey do? Is there anything that can be done to help that from happening?

OH! our little bandy is going thru this as we speak... i noticed it looking a bit red yesterday evening, this is her first egg, all of ours are just starting to lay. She looks really uncomfortable and isn't moving around much but i have seen her eat and drink. she is just trying so hard to push it out, but it looks really ugly and she is starting to be covered in poo back there... its going on 24 hours now but looking worse than ever... i have NO idea what to do... push it out? whats this about a warm bath? honey? our chicks don't like to be held, I'm not sure how I'm going to do this
please help?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom