styrofoam incubator

XS 2

I'd chime in, but kuchchicks and I use the same method....lol 

Styro bators, if you are not in a high altitude, generally have better success if you use a low humidity incubation method and watch air cells to know how to adjust. I use a Little Giant 9200, one of the most hated brands and I have excellent hatches, healthy chicks, no leg or navel issues. I use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

I have two Black Japanese Bantams that were just "thrown in" as extras from eggs I bought from a girl locally. I wasn't sure if I would get anything either due to the lethal gene, but both hatched out just fine. I was hoping I'd have a pair, but I ended up with two girls....lol

We have 5 black tail white Japanese they are my sons show birds we have had a difficult time hatching. But hopefully this is the time for them to hatch
1f44d.png

Well, I had a 0% hatch rate.. Through no fault of the bator. Mostly infertile, and the 4 dead I'm thinking MG was the cause. I'll be setting again March 5... :fl
-Banti

Well, I had a 0% hatch rate.. Through no fault of the bator. Mostly infertile, and the 4 dead I'm thinking MG was the cause. I'll be setting again March 5... :fl
-Banti

I'm sorry to hear this. My hatch rates are 0% also but we (my son and I) are going to keep trying.

Welp, now I am sure what caused such bad hatch rates.... I was measuring temps AT THE WRONG LEVEL.
th.gif

I measured in the middle of the egg, not top.... So I was running 105. No wonder they all died!
Anyways, trying again... This time with correct measurements.

I have been very happy with temp stability though, and the minimum of hot/cold spots- the most adjustments I have had to do to keep it at 101.5 is take out a vent plug for 2 minutes. I am amazed at how good it is!!
yesss.gif
No spikes or drops...... YET.
So maybe I'll be able to give yall a favorable report end of March!
-Banti

Last edited:
Welp, now I am sure what caused such bad hatch rates.... I was measuring temps AT THE WRONG LEVEL.
th.gif

I measured in the middle of the egg, not top.... So I was running 105. No wonder they all died!
Anyways, trying again... This time with correct measurements.

I have been very happy with temp stability though, and the minimum of hot/cold spots- the most adjusments I have had to do to keep it at 101.5 is take out a vent plug for 2 minutes. I am amazed at how good it is!!
yesss.gif
No spikes or drops...... YET.
So maybe I'll be able to give yall a favorable report end of March!
-Banti
Good luck!

S
-Banti
sorry to hear that... My first hatch was a complete failure too. I am on day 21 of 2nd hatch... Nothing so far... Working thru humidity issues...

Have a hatch due the April 8th and another due end of April... I will be candling both!

I have a styrofoam little giant incubator full of eggs I am worried about. The temp seems to not be where it should and I candled at day 5 and worried they aren't developing.

Sorry, I forgot to update...... Ended up with a 91% hatch rate of fertile eggs. (1 was infertile, so 10 chicks out of 12 eggs) Very, very happy with my styro!

Some of the chicks.
-Banti

Back
Top Bottom