Subdued chicken, head drawn into body

chickenbaguette

Songster
8 Years
Jul 2, 2011
I have three Calder Ranger hens. Today I found one of these just standing under the nesting box with her head drawn into her body, just standing there. She chirped slightly when I walked over but stayed put. I stroked her and she walked out slowly and very calmly over to the others. She was a bit puffed up and seemed... just very calm and subdued.

She wouldn't eat any food, although she was eating fine yesterday - not even when I brought her a little bit of mince which she loves. She hadn't eaten much all day, her crop was soft and quite empty. When I chased her she ran perfectly well, but still more calmly than usual.

I picked her up and looked at her, and it seemed a bit puffy on her tummy just below the keel bone, but I don't know if I was just making that up. Her breath is fine, no discharge in her nostrils or eyes, but she seemed very cold - her comb was freezing. It isn't really a cold day for winter at all - around 4-5 degrees C. Legs and feet are fine, no mites or anything. They are all due to be wormed tomorrow, but are all up to date. A bit of mess around her vent but clean inside.

We are also moving house on Thursday - whatever this is, that stress will probably make it worse. What can I do to help her through that? They have poultry spice and I make them warm mush out of their pellets with some oats and linseed every day.

Thank you for your help! D:

stoopid - She's been laying for quite a while now - we bought her from a place that supplies eggs to Waitrose as a 'point of lay pullet', but I think she was well past that. That was about half a year ago.

I can't tell which eggs are hers since the two other Calder rangers lay in the same place. But one of the eggs has been a bit longer than the others recently, although I have no idea whether that shows anything or not. She laid yesterday but I don't know about today.

Thanks for your reply!

She may be reacting to a change in weather, or daylight?
Where are you from, I think Europe?
My girls haven't been very happy with the shorter days, and the eggs are also longer, like torpedoes!
Does she seem ok otherwise?
I know some people worry about them being towards the end of laying, but I have some bantams that give me a few eggs a week, at 9 years old!
As long as she's healthy, and getting enough protein in her diet...
Maybe just watch her for the next few days. I know I just want to sit in bed every once in a while.
And maybe hold off on the worming until after the move, it could stress her out a little too much.

No, it's been like this for a few weeks now.
Yes, I'm from England.
I had one egg that was so long and big I thought it might have been double yolked, but I don't know what happened to it xD
But the thing is, she doesn't look healthy at all. But there isn't anything physically wrong with her that I can see, she's just acting very very strangely.
She's free range in the garden with the other five, and there are lots of bugs and bushes and things, and they have pellets in their feeder all the time. Nothing wrong with protein levels.
Maybe she's gone half-broody or something. I will wait and see since I don't know what it is so there's nothing to do for the moment. I might make them some tonic or something though
smile.png

I use organic pellets to worm them so it doesn't stress them as much as other wormers, but I will leave it until after the move, thanks!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom