Success!!!!!!! Duck finally used the nesting box :-)

GermanChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
NW Missouri
I have 5 female ducks (and 2 ganders). They are about 20 weeks old and one of them is laying for about 2 weeks now. I build them 2 nesting boxes but so far every morning the eggs was waiting for me in the middle of the coop on the floor. I know that the ducks check out the nesting boxes because every day the fake eggs I put in it to encourage them laying in there were pushed around and under the hay. Ugghh!!!!! Almost gave up but today for the first time I found the egg in the nesting box!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!! So excited :) ………….now if only the other ones will start laying soon and IN the nesting box that would be awesome. We are really enjoying those yummy eggs!

wee.gif
Congratulations!!!! Hope they do start using your nest boxes.

That's awesome!

Hey, you say you have 5 ducks and 2 ganders... do the ganders ever get aggressive with the ducks? What is the living situation? I'm just curious because I have a gander right now (he's an embden/chinese cross) and 8 runner ducks. Everything's going good, but I'm concerned he'll turn on them or try to mate the girl ducks. What's your experience?

That's awesome!

Hey, you say you have 5 ducks and 2 ganders... do the ganders ever get aggressive with the ducks? What is the living situation? I'm just curious because I have a gander right now (he's an embden/chinese cross) and 8 runner ducks. Everything's going good, but I'm concerned he'll turn on them or try to mate the girl ducks. What's your experience?
Ooops, I meant drakes not ganders!
I have 5 ducks, 2 drakes and 2 pairs of Buff American Geese…. well, I guess I have two ganders :) Kinda confusing ;-)
I got all of them, ducks and geese, in late April and they were all raised together. They are still teenager and not mating so I don't know how that situation will play out. Hopefully the ganders will be happy with the geese and will leave the ducks alone, haven't even thought about that potential problem.
They all live together in a big fenced in newly planted orchard and share a coop.

Here they are….

Back
Top Bottom