Success Rate ~Little Giant Incubators

3 batches with my LG...50% on all 3. But these were all shipped eggs and the hatch rates are normally low. Cant complain about the LG as of yet. It seems to be working fine...
big_smile.png

That’s what my little one is and I keep my temp at 100, 101 without a fan. The most important thing to remember is, location, location, location.

How long it you wait until you took them out because the temp may have a little low making a late hatch.

My last hatch I had 15 out of 24.

Thanks for all replies, That halps some. None of these eggs are being shipped. They are all coming from our own chickens. Today, 14 chicks were dead in the shell. They were all supposed to hatch today. One chick hatched 2 days ago. That's the only one alive. When eggs were candled, about a week ago, chicks were moving. Today when they were supposed to hatch & didnt, my husband cracked em open & found dead chicks inside the eggs. So the success rate of 2 hatches, has been only 1 chick each hatch, with a total of about 50 eggs. ~ Any other advice would be appriciated.

I was told to wait at least 3 days after the 21 days were up before doing anything with them. If your temp was down at all it may have been a late hatch.

Do you have them in a room where the temp stays the same and no drafts?

How many times did you candle them?

Did you wash the eggs before you put them in? Thats a no no.

I'm trying to think of things you should and should not do. Maybe between everyone we can help.

I'm sorry this is happening to you.
sad.png

Quote:
We got one of these from a neighbor, but it has no manual. I just found a link for one, but I thought I would ask you a couple questions since you had such great success. Do you plug the holes up top at all? And did you hand turn? Also, you have the Walmart thermometer as we do, so I am wondering where you placed it. I heard the temps from center to corner can vary by 5 degrees. We are only doing 12 eggs, so where would be the best place to place them?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Quote:
I am no expert but I think maybe they could of been just a little late hatching. Maybe next time give them a few extra days. I have learned through hours of reading on here that sometimes they may not hatch till day 22 or 23. If it were me next time you are faced with just having one hatch before the rest, I would not touch the others for a few days and be patient and wait it out. It may help!

the great thing about the little giant with the fan is if you keep the water trays full and your temp. pretty accurite you'll get 90% or better every time. That's after culling bad eggs at about 15 days. I've hatched a batch a week for the last 6 months or so and I've only had a few chicks not hatch I'm probably at 98% or better. Get you a $12.00 digital thermometer from Wal-Mart and leave it in one of the holes so all you do is a couple of times a day push the button and look at it. It's easier than it sounds. Not hard work at all. But I do use an egg turner (about $48.00 at T.S.C.) , it's worth the money.

Last edited:
I have one like that, even though mine looks deeper than the one in the picture. I added a PC fan to mine to help move the air and it seems to work better. The fan seems to help keep the temperature more consistent.

The last hatch I did was last summer during our hottest months. I kept the LG out in my garage where temps would range between the mid-90's during the day and low 70's during the night and with the fan, the incubator temp stayed right where I wanted it.

I was tempted to try to set a couple of eggs this winter in the sub zero temps to see how it would keep the temp.

Anyway, try installing a fan to see if it improves your hatch rate....

ERic

Back
Top Bottom