Successful Slug Traps!

JSossong

Songster
7 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Western PA
I searched the internet for a "natural" solution for my slug problem. They've been feasting on my kale for the past couple of weeks.
I ended up cutting off the tops of plastic water bottles, cutting U's into them, digging them into the ground around my kale ground level and filling them with beer. When I checked the next day each trap had 4-5 slugs in it. My kale is already starting to recover and I'm very happy about it so I thought I'd share the info!

You can save your money... keep the beer for your own use... Slug dough is an easy to make, inexpensive substitute for the beer. It's made of yeast, molasses, corn meal, flour and water... if i remember the ingredients correctly. It's been years since i've made it. It smells like wine after it ferments a bit. however, i'll warn you... the Raccoons like it too!

You can save your money... keep the beer for your own use... Slug dough is an easy to make, inexpensive substitute for the beer. It's made of yeast, molasses, corn meal, flour and water... if i remember the ingredients correctly. It's been years since i've made it. It smells like wine after it ferments a bit. however, i'll warn you... the Raccoons like it too!
That's why they make Natty Ice! It's not for drinking silly. That's what a good IPA is for.

Sorry... not a beer drinker! But, i'm definitely too cheap to buy a beverage for the slugs or the coons! I suppose that if you drink enough of the good stuff, you'll no longer care about the slugs!

I like the beer traps. Molasses, etc. would cost me an arm and a leg. Beer is cheap enough and I generally get to have 5 of the 6 that are leftover.

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom