Sudden chicken death?

LivReigns

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
North Carolina
A few weeks ago I lost my four month old female.Alsterlier hen. She was fine one day, lethargic the next and dead by that night. The rooster that came with her is still healthy as a horse, and none of my other chickens have gotten sick since. They are protected from rain and are on medicated food until they start laying, and I have a whole separate pen for my laying hens. I decided to get two more females from the same man, who indignantly seems to think that I'm the reason she died, since he says he's never lost a hen. He agreed to sell me two more but he wasn't happy about it. Has anyone else experienced a chicken suddenly dying? This is the first time I've ever had this happen.

I'm sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
And that is ridiculous that the man who sold them thinks it's your fault. It sounds like you did everything right. The same thing happened with two of my hens a few years apart. They didn't show any signs until they were lethargic for like a day. It was very sudden. Sorry I can't be of more help, because I don't know what happened to mine either. Sorry again about your loss!

A few weeks ago I lost my four month old female.Alsterlier hen. She was fine one day, lethargic the next and dead by that night. The rooster that came with her is still healthy as a horse, and none of my other chickens have gotten sick since. They are protected from rain and are on medicated food until they start laying, and I have a whole separate pen for my laying hens. I decided to get two more females from the same man, who indignantly seems to think that I'm the reason she died, since he says he's never lost a hen. He agreed to sell me two more but he wasn't happy about it. Has anyone else experienced a chicken suddenly dying? This is the first time I've ever had this happen.

chickens don't show when they are sick. it usually is too late when we realize it. my BCM hen was running and eating at about 11 am and I found her paralyzed and almost frozen at about 3 pm (it is too hot where I live). absolutely no idea what happened.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Did they breeder explain why he seems to think you are the "reason she died"? Would like to know what his thoughts/insights are and what, if any, steps that can be taken to prevent deaths.

I recommend if any of the "new ones" die, you send it for necropsy, so you can get an answer as to the cause of death.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

He seems to think it's my fault because of the fact that he's never lost a hen, and no one else that had bought from him reported losing one.

He seems to think it's my fault because of the fact that he's never lost a hen, and no one else that had bought from him reported losing one.

Well he was no help at all then.

Since they are "new to you" do you have them quarantined so you can observe whether they are healthy or not. Watch for signs of respiratory illness (watery eyes/nose, coughing, wheezing, etc.) and check them over for any lice/mites.

Back
Top Bottom