Sudden chicken violence

Zepher45

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
Western Washington
So a few months ago we successfully integrated two silkies and a Americana into our flock of four, after some issues of pecking order and a silkie getting a hole pecked into her back we were sure we hand gotten through the worst of it. When I went to collect eggs today the bottom silkie was beaten and sprawled out in the coop. She was barely alive so I ended her pain, I just want to ask if there was anything to cause this that could have been avoided. The last silkie has already been bullied today that I’ve seen while dealing with the other, I know chickens will be chickens but it still sucks. Anyone have advice? I worried that the last silkie won’t last long being alone, she hides a lot in the coop but is still social with us. In order of dominance we have a delaware, ISA brown, 4 Americanas, and the single silkie.

You really need to separate your remaining Silkie now... before it’s too late. Yes, she’ll be a bit unhappy alone for awhile, BUT she’ll also still be alive. Then, decide what you’re going to do about the bullies. If it’s at all possible, house the Silkie and a friend or 2 (preferably another Silkie) somewhere else permanently. Or, rehome her. I have Silkies (Large Fowl and Bantam). The breed has a very calm, sweet temperament and are prone to bullying. I’m ONLY offering some suggestions, because (having them myself) I know they will hide rather than try to fight back. I hope your girl will find some peace through whatever solution you find.

Once in a while - probably due to the set up, and luck, people can get a flock of bantams and full size birds to make a go of it. BUT a lot of time it just does not work.

There is a fallacy if raised together, birds will be life long friends - that is not true in chickens at all. Or that there is a trick, and you can mix any birds together. Once in a while you get a bird that just does not fit in your flock or set up. Don't make them suffer, get them in a different situation.

Mrs K

Chickens are racist jerks and don't like others who look different. The dislike can range from isolation to bullying to downright murder. Some people can make it work, with a lot of space and luck, but a lot of the time chickens that are too different just don't mix well (different physically or in temperament, or, worst case, in both). I'd either rehome the remaining silkie, or get her more silkie friends and have a separate setup for them.

I just want to ask if there was anything to cause this that could have been avoided.
To avoid this, don't mix chickens that are too different (bantam/silkie + large, crested + uncrested, dominant + submissive etc.) There will always be someone to come out and claim that they have mixed this and that and it was fine, but for every such person there will be lots of others who'll say it backfired for them (sometimes lethally). The odds are not good, it's not worth the risk.

Back
Top Bottom