Sudden Death - how long to rule out HPAI?

kristine16

Chirping
Sep 21, 2020
I found one of my hens dead Monday afternoon. She was fine that morning with no visible signs of anything. I suspect based on her history a heart or liver issue. We are now 48 hours from the time I found her and everyone else seems fine. I did hear a couple of sneezes from one hen this afternoon but she had just been dust bathing and seems totally normal otherwise. Do you think at this point I can at least rule out HPAI? Our chickens are pets and I can’t cut her open to examine her. I would have my vet do a necropsy but she’s out of town for the week so we have just buried the hen.

Here is a link for a list by state of places that will do a necropsy, for future reference. Make sure to say it is for "backyard poultry". Most places will have a discounted rate.

Edit: you can ship birds to these places, or sometimes over state lines. You don't need to be able to drop them off.

https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/poultry-necropsy-labs/

Aside from that, I can't add much considering there are no symptoms of note. Can to you elaborate more on her history that you mentioned?

We are now 48 hours from the time I found her and everyone else seems fine
Sometimes onset can be weeks or longer on disease within the flock. Im sure you will, but make sure to monitor everyone else very closely.

Here is a link for a list by state of places that will do a necropsy, for future reference. Make sure to say it is for "backyard poultry". Most places will have a discounted rate.

Edit: you can ship birds to these places, or sometimes over state lines. You don't need to be able to drop them off.

https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/poultry-necropsy-labs/

Aside from that, I can't add much considering there are no symptoms of note. Can to you elaborate more on her history that you mentioned?

Sometimes onset can be weeks or longer on disease within the flock. Im sure you will, but make sure to monitor everyone else very closely.
She was a very large 4 year old hen with a lot of fat between her legs. I had taken her to the vet in February because she had developed slight bumble foot and I thought her belly was swollen. I was concerned about ascites at that time but there was no fluid, just a lot of fat. We treated the bumble foot and it totally resolved but then came back. My vet said it was most likely a combination of her weight and the somewhat odd confirmation of her feet.

We don’t have these issues with any of our other chickens so it seemed to be more specific just to her. They don’t get a lot of treats. I just wonder if it was fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome since she was overweight.

Also, I noted the 48 hours specifically regarding HPAI. My understanding is that if it were that we would have other sick or dead chickens by now and was just trying to confirm that.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom