Sudden death

lioness27

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 22, 2017
For the past year or so, I've had a chicken suddenly die every 1 to 3 months. Most of them have been about 6 to 9 months old at the time of their death although some have been closer to 3 to 6 months. I fed medicated chick feed to the last group of chicks for the first 4 months. It seems to have made no difference. The chickens do not appear ill in any way prior to their death. I do find some looser stools at times but not consistently.

6-9 months is about the time reproductive issues can show up. Have you checked your flock for communicable diseases? (Mareks, leucosis, mycoplasma galliseptum, mycoplasma synoviae, etc.)?

Have they gotten into something environmental (poison, moldy feed, etc)?

What is the genetic health like of the parent flock you got them from?

Really hard to diagnose something without any symptoms. Next time one dies, consider sending it off for autopsy. You can search on this site for how to do that and where to send it.

6-9 months is about the time reproductive issues can show up. Have you checked your flock for communicable diseases? (Mareks, leucosis, mycoplasma galliseptum, mycoplasma synoviae, etc.)?

Have they gotten into something environmental (poison, moldy feed, etc)?

What is the genetic health like of the parent flock you got them from?

Really hard to diagnose something without any symptoms. Next time one dies, consider sending it off for autopsy. You can search on this site for how to do that and where to send it.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom