Sudden Death

Bott

Hatching
Mar 28, 2023
Hi, new to the group. I'd really like some input on this. We had two perfectly healthy hens, two years old, die in the night two days apart. There was no sign of sickness, perfectly normal behavior, good appetite, laid eggs the day before, and no trauma. They just seemed to randomly die in the night. All the diseases I can think of would likely show some symptoms. Furthermore, this was 2 weeks ago, and no more incidents. I've read about sudden death syndrome, but my question is how common is this? What are the odds of two chickens within 3 days? I just hate not knowing the cause, because naturally if there's anything to do to prevent it, I would! Our chickens free range on two acres and have a very clean coop. I was also thinking of potential toxic plants, but even a poisoning would probably show symptoms. Any input is appreciated, especially if you've had a similar experience. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20221017_173446.jpg
    20221017_173446.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for the responses. I'm positive it wasn't a predator. Our coop is very secure and there was no sign of trauma. The two that died didn't hang out together any more or less than anyone else. This is their world.

Attachments

• 20220917_170651.jpg
    20220917_170651.jpg
    867.6 KB · Views: 12
Not sure why this ended up in hatching. Tried to post it in emergencies and diseases

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

The "hatching" is a title that changes as you post. :)

Anyway, I am so sorry for your losses. :hugs Is it possible these 2 got into something poisonous? Sudden death cam happen to 1 but I can't imagine 2 together. Hopefully someone can help you in our Emergency forums, @N F C is moving in there.

Hi, new to the group. I'd really like some input on this. We had two perfectly healthy hens, two years old, die in the night two days apart. There was no sign of sickness, perfectly normal behavior, good appetite, laid eggs the day before, and no trauma. They just seemed to randomly die in the night. All the diseases I can think of would likely show some symptoms. Furthermore, this was 2 weeks ago, and no more incidents. I've read about sudden death syndrome, but my question is how common is this? What are the odds of two chickens within 3 days? I just hate not knowing the cause, because naturally if there's anything to do to prevent it, I would! Our chickens free range on two acres and have a very clean coop. I was also thinking of potential toxic plants, but even a poisoning would probably show symptoms. Any input is appreciated, especially if you've had a similar experience. Thanks!
Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom