Sudden death?

70 isn't nearly warm enough for 2 week olds. It may not kill them cause they will huddle together but from everything I have read they need to be kept at 95 the first week dropping it 5 degrees each week. So they should be 85 to 90 right now. This is what I have done with mine and had success. I keep a light on in one corner of the brooder so if they get cold they can go there to get warm, then move away during the heat of the day.

At a few days old, a hen will have her chicks out and about, teaching them to seek food. I personally do NOT stick to the temps in raising chicks. I watch their behavior. If they are huddling together, and making a lot of noise, they are cold. If they are splayed out for long periods and not active, they are too hot. Happy chicks are active. They cheep, but it's low tone, and not constant. At two weeks old, I takie them outside for an hour or more depending on how they are acting. If they are enjoying the sunshine, and pecking at things, being active, I let them be. If they are huddling together, I bring them in.

Wish I had the ability to take mine out for outings like that before I put them in the large coop. Not equipped for that yet. Hope you have luck with the rest of the chicks!

Thank y'all. I have cleaned the brooder with vingear and a lot of sunlight, and I put probiotics in their water. They aren't piling on each other and seem warm enough, I hope. They are a little over two weeks....I am tempted to put them outside in the sturdy tractor to stay...it is larger and the temperature never drops below 70 nowadays. They are probably too young for that though, yes? I guess I'll just cleane the brooder every day instead of every other day. I hope it helps. Thank you again!
Yes, put them out in the tractor. 2 week old chicks are well able to be at 70 degrees for several hours. A broody hen would have her chicks out and about, and they'd only be under momma at night at this point, with those temps. I think your chicks need more space. I've had smaller chicks get trampled in crowded conditions, they're just not sturdy enough to stand up to the crowd. You can put some out in the tractor and keep some in the brooder if there are some smaller birds you're worried about, or just move them all out. How large is the tractor, and is is it secure enough to keep those littles in?

Just an update: I have moved all of the little chickies into the very sturdy tractor next to the big chicken coop, inside the run. They seem content there and I have not lost any since. The lowest the temperature outside has been was 67 degrees, and I covered them with a tarp to preventbreeziness. Otherwise, I am just giving them food and water and moving the tractor over a couple of feet every other day; they all seem happy! They spend a lot of time watching the bigger chickens and eating grass. I added some grit inside the tractor just in case they are ingesting enough "other stuff" to need it. They have been out there a week and I am already thinking I may let them join the teenagers in the coop sooner than I anticipated. Thank you all for your help!

Back
Top Bottom