Sudden onset balance/mobility problem

Pics

Shepshill

Songster
Feb 19, 2018
New Jersey
Yesterday, my three ten-week old pullets seemed fine—see attached photo. This morning, one chick is struggling to move and struggling with balance. Does Marek’s disease have a sudden onset? Do any other diagnoses come to mind? The chicks were vaccinated. I don’t know if my four adult chickens were vaccinated as chicks— they were our first chickens, bought through an add on Craigslist, and we didn’t think to ask. The two groups have been separated since the chicks arrived nine weeks ago. First, the chicks were in the basement and then later I moved them to a barn, waiting for nighttime temps to get a bit warmer. As I learned today, Marek’s is easily spread, though I did make an effort to keep from spreading disease—separate equipment, washing after handling chicks, etc. any advice? I have moved the affected chick to a separate pen near enough the others to keep her from feeling alone/minimize stress. If it is a disease, they’ve all been exposed. She’s got a heat lamp since there are no chicks to share body heat with.

Attachments

• 42958EE7-7512-4030-B806-7DF9F62C178F.jpeg
    42958EE7-7512-4030-B806-7DF9F62C178F.jpeg
    609.9 KB · Views: 38
Mareks usually presents in 2 ways, drunken walking and paralyzed leg or legs, generally one forward, one back. It can come on apparently sudden, as it's basically tumors getting large enough to press on nerves which causes the paralysis.

Other options for an unsteady gait is vitamin deficiencies, head injuries and botulism which is caused by the consumption of moldy feed. Generally the neck is involved as well as the legs.

Could you post a photo of the one not doing well?

I will take photos/videos in the morning. I gave her a vitamin supplement tonight. I tried to help her stand in front of her feeder, but she kept falling into a sitting position. When I dosed her with the vitamin supplement, she was able to kick and flail and flap, so I don’t think she has any paralysis yet.

She lies with a wing extended, as if she’s making herself into a tripod to remain upright. :-(

This was this morning. She was able to stand and eat this morning.

Attachments

• 3520D175-1844-4950-A8B3-8C320535E260.jpeg
    3520D175-1844-4950-A8B3-8C320535E260.jpeg
    568.8 KB · Views: 29
This was this morning. She was able to stand and eat this morning.
She does look off, and I would suspect Mareks by your description. Hopefully someone else has some better thoughts than me. So sorry. I would give the vitamins a try. If Mareks she will continue to worsen over the next couple of weeks.

Coincidentally, discovered the chick with what looks like Marek’s disease on our first annivery of chicken ownership.
Here are the girls on the day they arrived.

Attachments

• 601F633D-FC79-4B6A-8CC6-B0C1401B7240.jpeg
    601F633D-FC79-4B6A-8CC6-B0C1401B7240.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 28
as it's basically tumors getting large enough to press on nerves which causes the paralysis
Actually this is not strictly true. The paralysis (or more often loss of control) with Marek's is due to asymmetric inflammation of a nerve. Tumours may or may not present and may or may not develop later. The nerve impairment can be as severe as lying on their side, contorted in the classic Marek's splits posture and perhaps also exhibiting wry neck and/or wry tail..... to.... as subtle as a single eyelid being difficult to control and keep open or a single dilated pupil.

If Mareks she will continue to worsen over the next couple of weeks.
Again this is not strictly true. Some birds will improve as dramatically as they fell ill with it over a period of days. Others may improve more slowly over weeks and even months and yes, some will decline and die. Your statement suggests that if she was to show improvement then she must not have Marek's and that is incorrect.

I think it is important to ensure accurate information is dissipated with regards to Marek's as there is a lot of erroneous data out there on the subject. I have had several birds which have had attacks of Marek's where they were struggling to walk and were down on their side floundering for a day or so, some in classic Marek's splits posture, but made miraculous recoveries where you would never know afterwards that they had been ill. They are of course prone to further attacks in the future but keeping them as stress free as possible will help to prevent that.

@Shepshill
If your chicks have been vaccinated, then she may stand a decent chance of surviving it (if you haven't already had her euthanized) provided she continues to eat..... once they go off their food it is most often a steady downward decline and that is the point I psych myself up to euthanize.
I'm so sorry you are going through this. It is a horrible disease.

Last edited:
Rebrascora, do you think I should give her more time? I assumed it was hopeless, and I didn’t want to let her suffer if she has no chance of improvement. This is all new to me.

Back
Top Bottom