Sudden seizure and death in 12 day old chick

frannyglass

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 30, 2014
central PA
My 12 day old seemingly healthy chick suddenly started peeping at the top of her lungs last night. When we rushed over we found her having a seizure. When the seizure stopped, we removed her from the brooder and she recovered. We kept a very close eye on her (the brooder is in the main area of a somewhat open plan house) and she was acting normal, drinking and eating. Less than half an hour later, it happened again. This time she did not recover and died. Mucous came out of her nose at death.

We'd ordered our chicks from a hatchery, and the postal service lost them. They arrived four days after shipping, and while a few were alive, Margaery was the only one who made it past a day. Shockingly, after 24 hours she was doing completely well, eating and drinking regularly, very active.

We found a breeder somewhat nearby and ended up getting four chicks so that she was not alone. They are all about the same age and all get along very well. None of the others are exhibiting any strange behaviors.

They're in a sufficiently sized brooder, with a heat lamp on one end, but space to get away from it if they need to on the other. They have all been eating and drinking their water regularly. They are on chick starter and Quik Chik. There are pine shavings in the brooder. I have not observed anything odd about their droppings.

When it was hot (high 80s) a few days ago I allowed them about 10 minutes of supervised time in the sunshine, but that was days ago and it was very warm and I don't think it could have caused it?

I have not raised chicks before, and have been spending a lot of time researching it. I don't understand what happened, and am really worried now about my other chicks. They are acting completely normal, but so was she until suddenly she wasn't. If anyone has any idea what this could have been or whether my other chicks are in danger, please help? Thank you so much. I hope this post is allowed.

(by the way, I believe she was a barred rock? The hatchery sent a mix but her markings seemed to align best with that breed)

Back
Top Bottom