Suddenly weak and won’t open eyes

Tuesday87

Chirping
Apr 13, 2023
This is my second chick in two days- yesterday our Cochin died, thought it was due to a clogged vent but this one does not have a sticky bum. It was up and going yesterday just fine and today it is laid down under the brooder, peeps some, won’t open her eyes, kinda seems to be gasping? What is going on! I called Murray mcmurray but i had to leave a message. Anyone have any ideas?? I’m worried

How long ago did you receive them?

Did you give them any supplements, water or food orally with a syringe/force feed?

What does your brooder setup look like?

What are you feeding them?

How far away is your heat lamp from your brooder and how big is your brooder?

How long ago did you receive them?

Did you give them any supplements, water or food orally with a syringe/force feed?

What does your brooder setup look like?

What are you feeding them?

How far away is your heat lamp from your brooder and how big is your brooder?
I recieved them on Wednesday, they have chick hydration vitamins in the water, and unmedicated food. They’re vaccinated for mareks and coccidiocis. I have a K&H thermo-brooder set to the lowest setting inside of the small size kiddie pool with food and water. Both had beaks dipped into the water and food to find it. I force fed the other one egg yolk and sugar water with no effect. This one is just barely hanging on. Not sure it would help now. :(

I recieved them on Wednesday, they have chick hydration vitamins in the water, and unmedicated food. They’re vaccinated for mareks and coccidiocis. I have a K&H thermo-brooder set to the lowest setting inside of the small size kiddie pool with food and water. Both had beaks dipped into the water and food to find it. I force fed the other one egg yolk and sugar water with no effect. This one is just barely hanging on. Not sure it would help now. :(
The gasping tends to happen when a chick aspirates. How far did you dip their beaks into the water? Was it past their nares/nasal openings at all? Is the one you force fed one of the ones gasping?

The gasping tends to happen when a chick aspirates. How far did you dip their beaks into the water? Was it past their nares/nasal openings at all? Is the one you force fed one of the ones gasping?
I just dipped the tip into the water. I’ve had chicks many times so this is wicked strange for me! :( i didn’t shove a syringe down their throats just deposited little drops at the end of their beaks. Didn’t force feed this one at all and still having the exact same response. I wondered about aspiration. She’s just silently opening her beak every minute or so. :( my poor kiddo and i are so surprised and sad

Thank you for answering, the baby hen passed a few minutes ago :/ hopefully it was just poor stock and not anything our other two could contract

Sorry for your loss. Shipping sometimes can really stress out baby chicks, especially if there is rough handling, they are in transit more than a day or two, and if there are any extreme temps. Pasty but is one symptom, but gasping is a sign they may be dying. About all one can do is give fluids, electrolytes, and keep the temperature just right. It is possible that they had a bad hatch of one breed.Good luck with the others.

Hi and welcome to BYC. Since you've had them for less than two days, it sounds like they died due to shipping stress and simply being too weak to survive the trip. I am sorry. Be sure to let Murray McMurray know that two have died. I know you would much rather have living chicks than a refund, but since two have passed away, a refund is the best that can be done. I hope the rest survive and thrive.

Back
Top Bottom