Suggestions for integrating new geese into an existing flock?

hmmmm rehoming thread!...I really need to learn to find my way around BYC!! Will look into rescues. My daughter, who is a vet, is watching and asking around in the Northern part of the state.

Aww gosh now I am blushing.
wink.png

jttn42248, Mother Goose sounds like an appropriate name for Miss Lydia! :) I'm not having much luck finding a local goose. The local feed store wasn't very encouraging about finding something local. He said sometime back he ended up taking 40 (teenagers?) home that he was unable to sell. Haven't investigated yet,... but wondering if any of the hatcheries sell older geese, or at least juveniles (I don't know the correct term for 'teenage geese'! ) :-( Seems like waiting for me to raise one might be better than taking a chance of never finding one close enough.

If I were to raise a mate for him, I have questions: Would raising 2 geese for him be ok? When would they be old enough to introduce them? 1-1/2 years? What else should I think about? I would appreciate any recommendations.

jttn42248, Mother Goose sounds like an appropriate name for Miss Lydia! :) I'm not having much luck finding a local goose. The local feed store wasn't very encouraging about finding something local. He said sometime back he ended up taking 40 (teenagers?) home that he was unable to sell. Haven't investigated yet,... but wondering if any of the hatcheries sell older geese, or at least juveniles (I don't know the correct term for 'teenage geese'! ) :-( Seems like waiting for me to raise one might be better than taking a chance of never finding one close enough.

If I were to raise a mate for him, I have questions: Would raising 2 geese for him be ok? When would they be old enough to introduce them? 1-1/2 years? What else should I think about? I would appreciate any recommendations.
Okay contact Metzer farms if you want to get some gosling or juveniles this would be the place although there are other hatcheries that sell goslings too but probably get them from Metzers. We know Metzers sends their poultry really well and this time of year in heat isn't the best time to send poultry through USPS But getting 2 females would be fine and after a couple weeks of taking them outside for meet and greet your gander will most likely take over completely raising them .Ganders are awesome papas. You'd just want to make sure he and they were bonded and the little ones were sturdy on their legs before handing them over. Might be too late for goslings but they may have some older ones for sale. Best would be to get in touch with hatcheries close to you state wise and find out if they raise them or will they be coming from another hatchery and they are middle man. Did you contact the memeber on BYC I gave you the link to their thread for just wondering if they may have older females they might want to rehome.

Thank you again!! The link/thread was for a gander. I was under the impression that ganders could likely be aggressive towards goslings! That would be great if he'd adopt them! Another issue may be just available in straight run...and it appears maybe no one ships this time of year. But I'll check. Ideal is closest to us. I just looked briefly. I did find Holderread Waterfowl Farm & Preservation Center in Corvallis OR! They appear to have adult geese available. They don't ship in hot weather so it would be October before I could get one, but it looks like if I get my order in, it is possible!! I'm really excited!!

Thank you again!! The link/thread was for a gander. I was under the impression that ganders could likely be aggressive towards goslings! That would be great if he'd adopt them! Another issue may be just available in straight run...and it appears maybe no one ships this time of year. But I'll check. Ideal is closest to us. I just looked briefly. I did find Holderread Waterfowl Farm & Preservation Center in Corvallis OR! They appear to have adult geese available. They don't ship in hot weather so it would be October before I could get one, but it looks like if I get my order in, it is possible!! I'm really excited!!
No ganders are awesome with babies. and even if you had to go with adults as long as you do the intro slowly over several weeks they will be a flock. Oct will be here before we know it.
roll.png

I think not shipping in Hot weather or clod should be top priority so many loose the poultry because hatcheries ship too early in the season too this year was a tragedy alot lost their entire orders from the awful cold and the poor animals sitting out on runways for days. Because of the weather.

My gander was/is the best father I have ever seen in any of my animals. Not only a great dad but I think I may be getting an idea of the genders of the goslings because he seems to be teaching certain of the babies how to be a gander. It is really funny to have a gosling that can only peep still charge at you trying to hiss.

Back
Top Bottom