Suggestions on feeding a mixed aged flock

kej3511

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 24, 2014
I currently have 6 - 2 month old ducks drakes and ducks I just acquired 2- 1 year old laying ducks. I'm currently feeding a growers formula to my 2 month olds I believe its 18% protein. But I want to make sure my laying ducks are getting enough calcium for egg quality production. Any suggestions on a formula that works for everyone? Or what I should be looking for? Unfortunately separating them isn't an option.

Also any advice to make my newly acquired ducks bloom? My current ducks are beautiful but the new ones are quite mangey looking and roughed up from being around too many drakes from their previous home. Hoping they will blossom soon!

Thanks in advance for any help!!

You should offer free choice oyster shell, i don't use layer for the ducks because i have young and old often.. so i do grower with free choice oyster shell, my protein on my grower is 16% they all forage too.

Some of my chickens have a layer it's 18% so that is a fine level imo... you could do a flock raiser, all flock too if you can find one.

As for the roughed up ones, time.. lol also BOSS my ducks like it(black oil sunflower seeds) i would bet a molt will likely be when you'll see the most improvement, when new feathers appear etc.

Last edited:
You should offer free choice oyster shell, i don't use layer for the ducks because i have young and old often.. so i do grower with free choice oyster shell, my protein on my grower is 16% they all forage too.

Some of my chickens have a layer it's 18% so that is a fine level imo... you could do a flock raiser, all flock too if you can find one.

As for the roughed up ones, time.. lol also BOSS my ducks like it(black oil sunflower seeds) i would bet a molt will likely be when you'll see the most improvement, when new feathers appear etc.

Thanks Quakers! I hope they molt soon! Lol!
I didn't realize they could eat or like black sun flower seeds. Good to know!!!
I attached a photo of my roughed up girls with the rest of the crew!

Thanks Quakers! I hope they molt soon! Lol!
I didn't realize they could eat or like black sun flower seeds. Good to know!!!
I attached a photo of my roughed up girls with the rest of the crew!
ah, their cute! almost appears one is going through a molt?

Mine will eat them, i toss them whole.. even my call ducks.

Welcome !
welcome-byc.gif

The new girls aren't nearly as haggered looking as when I got them. They have grown in new feathers and have fattened up a bit. I never went around to trying the sunflower seeds, seems all the needed was tlc and some freedom!
They actually seem to be taking over the group now! They aw very adventurous! Sometimes too adventurous!
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

I did take ur advice on feeding growers formula and free choice oyster shells. Everyone seems happy and healthy with that diet!
Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom