Suggestions on placement of chicken door, nest box and roosts in small chicken coop.

MelsieMouse

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Missoula, Montana
Hello!

I just got my three chicks today (buff orpington, barred rock and black star).

This will be my first experience raising chicks past the 4 week stage. (I raised one RIR from egg to 4 weeks-16 years ago).

Anyway, I am converting a wooden dog house into a chicken coop. It is about 3 ft wide, 3.5 ft long and 4 ft tall at the peak-it has a gable roof.

The dog door entrance will be finished with a door-and will be my access. It's about 20 inches by 25 inches. So since that will be closed, except for cleaning and egg collecting, I need to know where to put the door for the chickens to have access to their covered, predator proof run. Should I put it near the big door, right on the wall next to it? Or should I put it further back near the back of the adjacent wall, far away from the door entrance.
Also, I've read that the chicken door should face east? Is this really important?
And is 12 inches by 14 inches an adequate size?

That being said, I assume, I should put the nest box near the big door and the roosts near the back of the coop?

And can anyone recommend any flat backed feeders and waters to fit more flushly against the walls in the coop?

(If it matters, I live in Missoula, Montana. Summers are mild-mid 80s is typical and winters are often in the teens, but can dip below zero. I've only been here six months, so I'm just going from what I've heard ppl say.)

I would love suggestions.

Thank you so much.

(I am already so in love with my babies and I haven't even had them 12 hrs).

I forgot to mention, all three are pullets.
smile.png

First of all
welcome-byc.gif
from San Diego

if you can put your roosts a little taller than the nest box. put the board flat not on edge. lets them relax and balance at the same time and in winter lets them keep their Tosies warm.

You can hang your feeder and waterer on the inside of the door so when you open it out its easy to access and clean if need be and its already out of the way for cleaning the inside of the coop.

You can use a rabbit pellet feeder the kind that hangs on a cage wall (the kind that doesnt have a mesh on the bottom. All you would need is a couple of holes for the feeder wires to go through.

You could make a pvc feeder and set it in the corner they take up very little room Very simple to make and easy to modify to your own needs.

A chicken door should probably face away from the prevailing winds in winter. I dont think the compas direction is really important.

Are you going to raise the Coop up on legs to get it up off the ground so that it will be easier to clean and maintain? Doing this will also help keep the coop warmer in winter no cold transfering from the ground up.

Also I am in a very mild high desert climate so havent experienced the cold you do but I do know there are such things as water dish heaters you can set your water on top of to keep it from freezing over. And I have read others in such a climate also cover their runs during winter to keep them snow free so the girls are more likely to go out and get some exercise.

Welcome and good luck.

There is also the option of doing feeding and watering solely outside the coop in a feed station. Then you have plenty of room. I personally use a dog waterer for my chickens the kind that you hook up to a hose.... water is always available that way.

I would love to see pictures of your project....
pop.gif
caf.gif

Thank you so much for your suggestions. My camera is broken, so I just have my phone for pics. I'll just have to figure out to post them.

Also, how do you add a "signature" to your posts like you have at the bottom of your response, where it says the chickens you have?

Thank you again!!

Thank you so much for your suggestions. My camera is broken, so I just have my phone for pics. I'll just have to figure out to post them.

Also, how do you add a "signature" to your posts like you have at the bottom of your response, where it says the chickens you have?

Thank you again!!

You are so welcome. Remember there is no ONE single way to do things. Its a learn as you go for your own situation. I am in the same boat with my own Phone pictures. I am thinking I may just send them to a friend who does it regularly and have him email them to me.....

For tweaking your signature and a bunch of other things go to the tabs at the top of the page. Click on [my profile] then at the bottom of your profile page there will be a space to add a signature. In between the top and bottom of that page is a bunch of other things you can do to fine tune your preferences.

Back before this version of Back Yard chickens new people were kind of restricted to change things till they had posted ten times. I don't know if there are any restrictions any more. But Thats the page you do it on. if you don't have access then try again after you have posted more.

deb

Back
Top Bottom