Summer's chat thread!

That'll just make him afraid of people, affirming his idea that humans are threats. I would just ignore him, kick him away if he attacks you - wear tall boots
lol.png
don't feel stupid or like a wimp if you want to carry something to protect you either!
wink.png

Sometimes a rooster is just mean. I've had one boy like that, but I was the only one who wasn't afraid of him
roll.png
if he stays mean, try and find him a home on a free-range farm with lots of hens he can protect. It'd be sad, but better than eating him.
Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the advice!

No problem! I've had a rooster who was just outright mean, and another who was mean because he was scared of people. The latter turned out to be THE BEST rooster have EVR had. E was SOOO entle with the hens! I miss him :(
BTW, what breed is your boy?

that little puff ball?! He looks so innocent!
I know!
I have a problem. I am actually to timid to go into the coop...so I have been using a long bamboo stick to do my work for me...(I stick it through the chicken wire to poke the rooster away when he gets too close, dump over the food bag to spill some more food for them and then prop it back up, and close and open the large wooden box they sleep in.) I usually fill the water in the morning before they are awake (it lasts a full day usually). I have no clue what to do. Also, if I did not mention, the attack rooster is named Hats. But occasionally when Hats gets too close to the chicken wire I will kick the wire and then he puffs and I have to keep kicking because if I stop and back away, he will think he is dominant.
Please help. I am way to scared to go into the coop.
Marie

I know!
I have a problem. I am actually to timid to go into the coop...so I have been using a long bamboo stick to do my work for me...(I stick it through the chicken wire to poke the rooster away when he gets too close, dump over the food bag to spill some more food for them and then prop it back up, and close and open the large wooden box they sleep in.) I usually fill the water in the morning before they are awake (it lasts a full day usually). I have no clue what to do. Also, if I did not mention, the attack rooster is named Hats. But occasionally when Hats gets too close to the chicken wire I will kick the wire and then he puffs and I have to keep kicking because if I stop and back away, he will think he is dominant.
Marie
jeez... i really cant be a help here and now i feel guilty

I know! 
Marie

First thing, wear tall boots, and hang onto that stick if it makes you feel more confident. Second, don't just kick humor poke him if he gets close to you, wait til he kicks you. If he doesn't puff up til you kick the wire, then he might not have been attacking.

If/when he attacks you, kick him back (not super hard, but not gently either) until it becomes a standoff. Hold your boot in his face until he starts clucking,and lowering his head. From my experience, they'll try to walk away sideways instead of turning completely around.

Besides what I've said already, there are two methods to calming drown an aggressive roo.
1. Act like a rooster. Don't let him breed the hens if you're within a few strides of him, don't let him near the feeder while you're filling it, make him stand a few feet away from you, etc. This only really works for young roosters who are figuring out their spot in the pecking order, although I don't(didn't) let my roos breed if I was right there.

2. Let him see that you ARENT a rooster. If he can figure out that you aren't a challenge to his authority in the flock, he ought to chillax a bit. If he attacks you, push him back with your stick and keep walking. Hand feed him (yes,it sounds really scary, but I've never had a rooster attack a food-filled hand before ;)). Basically, ignore him (within the bounds of reason, of course).

Ive been in your shoes, and believe me I know how scary an angry rooster can be, but keep in mind that he's a chicken. You are a human. WAY smarter than a chicken. Go out and just watch him hang with his girls some time. See if he's super rough with them, or if he is gentle and calls them over for treats, etc.

Hope this helps! :)

First thing, wear tall boots, and hang onto that stick if it makes you feel more confident. Second, don't just kick humor poke him if he gets close to you, wait til he kicks you. If he doesn't puff up til you kick the wire, then he might not have been attacking.

If/when he attacks you, kick him back (not super hard, but not gently either) until it becomes a standoff. Hold your boot in his face until he starts clucking,and lowering his head. From my experience, they'll try to walk away sideways instead of turning completely around.

Besides what I've said already, there are two methods to calming drown an aggressive roo.
1. Act like a rooster. Don't let him breed the hens if you're within a few strides of him, don't let him near the feeder while you're filling it, make him stand a few feet away from you, etc. This only really works for young roosters who are figuring out their spot in the pecking order, although I don't(didn't) let my roos breed if I was right there.

2. Let him see that you ARENT a rooster. If he can figure out that you aren't a challenge to his authority in the flock, he ought to chillax a bit. If he attacks you, push him back with your stick and keep walking. Hand feed him (yes,it sounds really scary, but I've never had a rooster attack a food-filled hand before
wink.png
). Basically, ignore him (within the bounds of reason, of course).

Ive been in your shoes, and believe me I know how scary an angry rooster can be, but keep in mind that he's a chicken. You are a human. WAY smarter than a chicken. Go out and just watch him hang with his girls some time. See if he's super rough with them, or if he is gentle and calls them over for treats, etc.

Hope this helps!
smile.png
Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom