Sunflower Seeds/Meal worms good for chickens and how much?

mrl8810

Songster
Jun 26, 2019
I have been trying to do research on things to feed chickens that they really enjoy and will help them with laying and such and I have saw people say to feed meal worms(Which I've been feeding for years) and sunflower seeds. I looked up sunflower seeds for chickens and I found "Black Oil Sunflower Seeds" but it says for wild birds? Is there a certain type of seeds that they can have or just any sunflower seeds? I've given them some popcorn and they seem to love that..I want more snacks and such for them. Also I have read that they don't need too much protein and basically that I can overdose them and give them too much...would you feed sunflower seeds..their regular feed(not sure how much protein is in it) and mealworms at the same time or is that too much? How often would you give them the treats? Thanks for any help

When the chicks transition off of chick starter, we mix our own feed, which includes organic black oil sunflower seeds or non-gmo black oil sunflower seeds (1/3 Organic rolled oats or rolled oats/barley mix, 1/3 black oil sunflower seeds, 1/3 organic cracked corn or organic coarsely ground corn). For years, all of our chickens have produced many good quality eggs that are normally very clean utilizing this mix so we are satisfied with it. We find the organic black oil sunflower seeds at Azure Standard, but if they are not available I have found Prairie Melody Non-GMO black oil sunflower seeds on Amazon. I can also find them occasionally at one of the local natural food shops, but they are even more expensive there. Both of the seeds mentioned can be consumed by humans and are not the wild bird variety. During the winter, in addition to the meal worm treats we give them year round, we also add Non-GMO trout dry cat food as occasional treats.

When the chicks transition off of chick starter, we mix our own feed, which includes organic black oil sunflower seeds or non-gmo black oil sunflower seeds (1/3 Organic rolled oats or rolled oats/barley mix, 1/3 black oil sunflower seeds, 1/3 organic cracked corn or organic coarsely ground corn). For years, all of our chickens have produced many good quality eggs that are normally very clean utilizing this mix so we are satisfied with it. We find the organic black oil sunflower seeds at Azure Standard, but if they are not available I have found Prairie Melody Non-GMO black oil sunflower seeds on Amazon. I can also find them occasionally at one of the local natural food shops, but they are even more expensive there. Both of the seeds mentioned can be consumed by humans and are not the wild bird variety. During the winter, in addition to the meal worm treats we give them year round, we also add Non-GMO trout dry cat food as occasional treats.
I'm sorry but it's not a healthy diet for your girls. it's nearly 60% fat, not accounting for the cat food. Fat isn't supposed to be above 7% It's like a steady diet of bacon cheese burgers, good protein but tremendous fat, it will work until it doesn't.

I'm sorry but it's not a healthy diet for your girls. it's nearly 60% fat, not accounting for the cat food. Fat isn't supposed to be above 7% It's like a steady diet of bacon cheese burgers, good protein but tremendous fat, it will work until it doesn't.
your figures are ridiculous. Oats, barley and corn are overwhelmingly carbs: oats are 8% fat, barley not even 2% fat, for example. You should be less assertive with your views if you can't do basic math.

Do you have a nutrient breakdown of this mix? I am curious what the protein source is. The barley? I mix corn with my all-flock feed during the winter when egg production is already down but the rest of the year I only use it to get them back in the run at night. But it certainly doesn't help mine lay-if anything they lay even less when I do that so I buy scratch like twice a year.

Rule of thumb on treats is not to use it as there main source of food. It will never compete with the protein and vitamin enriched based feeds.

Moderation is the key to a well balanced healthy chicken. You can give them anything you want everyday just cap the amount.

Do you have a nutrient breakdown of this mix? I am curious what the protein source is. The barley? I mix corn with my all-flock feed during the winter when egg production is already down but the rest of the year I only use it to get them back in the run at night. But it certainly doesn't help mine lay-if anything they lay even less when I do that so I buy scratch like twice a year.
The protein percentages are;
Oats-12%
Barley-7-10%
Black Oil Sunflower seeds-42%
Coarsely ground corn-6.5% crude protein

The protein percentages are;
Oats-12%
Barley-7-10%
Black Oil Sunflower seeds-42%
Coarsely ground corn-6.5% crude protein
BOSS are NOT 42% protein, not even if you are buying them shelled. The typical sunflower seed for human consumption, in a 30g serving is 14g fat, 5-6 g protein, 6 grams carbs and some other stuff. That's (very roughly) 45% fat, 14-16% protein, 16% carbs.

I am curious as to where you are sourcing your information.
Here is where I get mine.

You can also look here. and here. and here. and here and here. and here and a hundred other places I could link - and while they offer slightly different figures, they all agree on total protein nowhere near 42%. In the shell, the protein content is even less, and the fiber content goes way up.

Basically, there is no way you can mix the ingredients listed above to reach the 16% target minimum crude protein level recommended in the US for adult laying hens, and you certainly can't hit the desired amino acid targets. The EU has lower numbers, but you didn't mention adding L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, and poultry Nutribooster to ensure their vitamin and trace mineral needs are met.

Back
Top Bottom