Sunscreen mishap and chicks Q

Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Teen kid was cleaning out the brooder which has eight 3-day old chicks. According to the tale told to me, there was a Humongous spider hiding under the puppy pee pads (which were being changed and replaced with shavings). So…faced with this huge spider, which was not in danger of reaching teen (smooth sides of brooder, spider hiding in corner), teen decided to spray it with sunscreen, which was handy. All I know is there were two empty cans of sunscreen when I came out later….doubt they were full cans, but still a large amount of sunscreen was sprayed by freaked out teen. In the end, teen killed spider with broom handle.

Teen wiped out the brooder, but sunscreen is a kind of lotion. Although this sunscreen was the spray (aerosol) kind, so fine mist. When I checked, it was greasy. Also the smell was intense, exacerbated by the heat lamp heating up remaining spray. So, I removed the chicks -which were thankfully still alive. I was worried bc chickens have sensitive respiratory systems. They are now in my family room, under a heat plate and giving me a headache bc of the dust (and it’s only been about 12 hours).

To help with the intense smell, we left the brooder access door into the run open for fresh air. I also cleaned out all the shavings, and sprayed two kinds of cleaners and wiped everything down very well. But, the brooder still smells of sunscreen, fairly strongly, but it’s no longer greasy. The brooder is newly made, the floor is UV treated/smooth plywood. The sides are regular plywood, so that might be what is holding the smell.

Any recommendations on any other cleaning, or smell removal? Or is this just a wait and see when the smell dissipates? Maybe it will be better this morning, after airing out all night.

I had to laugh at the image of the freaked out teen :gig I can see all of this happening at my own house!

Can you put a fan out there to blow out the odor? You’ve already done what I would have tried.

I had to laugh at the image of the freaked out teen :gig I can see all of this happening at my own house!

Can you put a fan out there to blow out the odor? You’ve already done what I would have tried.
I know- such drama sometimes.

Still smells like sunscreen, but reduced from yesterday. Chicks may get one more night inside. I’ll turn on heat lamp to see how strong the smell is in the brooder. They may have to switch to the heat plate in the brooder if heat lamp makes the smell too strong.

This morning found it to be much less -hardly any aroma. I think that keeping it open to the outside air also helped. Closed the pop door to the run, added fresh shavings, turned on heat lamp. Warming things up and will hopefully get chicks out there today.

I wouldn’t worry too much. Last year my then four year old tagged my barn with a bottle of aerosol sunscreen. It looked like someone graffitied the inside of my barn and the barn smelled like sunscreen pit for days. That’s also where I lock the chickens up at night. No one had any issues or showed signs of respiratory distress.

This morning found it to be much less -hardly any aroma. I think that keeping it open to the outside air also helped. Closed the pop door to the run, added fresh shavings, turned on heat lamp. Warming things up and will hopefully get chicks out there today.
:fl

Back
Top Bottom