Super impressed with these golden sex links

No. Autosexing can be difficult to maintain, even within purebred lines. It takes a lot of careful selection to get a line to breed true, and it must be strictly maintained or it could be lost. You can't just breed any two Bielefelders and expect to get autosexing chicks, at least, not until you've done several hatches to make sure.
There would be absolutely no way to tell the male chicks from the female chicks if you bred the Bielefelder to the sexlinks. They would all likely be barred and red.

A barred red...I may try that just to see. Sounds neat!! I actually have blue Jersey giant chicks now and had thought about breeding one of my Bielefelder hens to a blue Jersey rooster this spring. I don't know I just can't seem to kick the chicken addiction I love them all.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

this is Sex Links 101, a great thread. don't get bogged down in the hundreds of pages unless you're really bored, all the good stuff is in Tim's initial post.

I think your Bielefelder rooster over a red sex link could make some very pretty backyard birds. If he's pure for barring, all the offspring should be barred to some extent. I'm not sure what the base color of a Beil is....that would help with what colors you'd get in the offspring. But I'm guessing mixes of red, black and white, very striking hens. They should lay decently well, and around here folks always like unique looking birds as well as the dependable dual purpose pure breds.

I have had these young girls a few days now and learning a little more about them everyday. They are not as laid back as my Bielefelders they are more vocal and flighty but not to the extent that it is annoying. They will let you pick them up but are just as happy if you don't. I can already tell they will be a hardy vigorous type bird. They eat the layer feed well and forage just as well. Out of the 10 pullets the first day I got 7 eggs, the second day 8 eggs, the third day 5 eggs and today I got 7 eggs so I have been pleased with their egg production. I'm interested in seeing how they do this winter. If they do well I may get them a rooster that comes from a good egg production breed and maintain a small layer flock. However it goes as of now I would recommend the sex links to any one who loves watching chickens and eating eggs.

I wanted to give an update on my now coming 6 month old golden sex link pullets. The temps outside are in the mid 50's at night and gloomy rainy 60's during the day and these birds continue to lay around 7 eggs a day. I have 4 dozens eggs on hand not to mention all the egg sandwiches I have been eating. The quality of the eggs as far as taste and texture have been great. By texture I mean the way they hold together in the skillet when you crack them. I have only ran into a few double yolks but they have laid some. These birds get along real well but have been raised together as a flock since they hatched. They are hardy, vigorous, and eat well. They always eat their laying crumble and in the afternoons they are turned out and free range until right at dark. I wish they would go to the coop on their own but they stay foraging till I go get them. I personally like a large flashy heritage "type" chicken and was concerned about their size and feathering at first. But these are good medium sized pullets that are laying a medium to large egg. Their colors and feathering is beautiful and they are a pleasure to watch scratching around the yard. Nothing is left unturned searching for bugs! They are still vocal and one has turned into Houdini flying over the fence. I would absolutely still recommend these to any homesteader looking for a good source for fresh eggs or anyone who wants to add a few pullets to their flock to supplement egg production. Still tossing the idea of adding a Rooster with these girls in the spring but haven't really decided which breed to add. Some of the obvious choices would be a Rhode Island red or a New Hampshire. I love hatching eggs!!

Roosters don't make hens go broody, regardless of breed. I know a few people who have rooster-less flocks and have lots of broody hens. Some breeds are more prone to going broody than others. Sexlinks are usually bred from production type lines that have hatcheries have worked towards breeding out the brooding tendencies. Every now and then someone posts that they are shocked that their sexlink has gone broody, so it can happen, it's just not very likely.

Back
Top Bottom