Supplemental Lighting Question

NjQuailer

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2024
I have a raised rabbit hutch with young birds. I have solar paneled lights on the outside that provide light to the open part of the cage, but there’s also an enclosed section. The birds haven’t started laying yet at 9 weeks. Do you need to put a light on the enclosed section as well as the open section of the cage?

I personally think that my chickens ( of all different ages ) do best when they can sleep in the dark. So I don't give them light all night long in the place that they sleep. But during the day I imagine they would like having light.

I have a raised rabbit hutch with young birds. I have solar paneled lights on the outside that provide light to the open part of the cage, but there’s also an enclosed section. The birds haven’t started laying yet at 9 weeks. Do you need to put a light on the enclosed section as well as the open section of the cage?
How long is your light on they need 14 hours or more to promote laying.

I personally think that my chickens ( of all different ages ) do best when they can sleep in the dark. So I don't give them light all night long in the place that they sleep. But during the day I imagine they would like having light.
Supplemental lighting to promote laying doesn't mean 24-hour lighting. You just add to light of day giving them extended light usually around 14 to 16 hours of light in a 24-hour period. At a 16-hour day with added lighting, you still have an 8-hour night/dark period.

Yup! They’re on 15 hours of light now. Solar panel light on the outdoor section of the cage. I was just wondering if there was any purpose in putting a light fixture, same hours of duration, in the enclosed section of the coop. I’ve seen people do it, and didn’t know if it was necessary since I’ve had no eggs yet

What is your male to female ratio? Are there predators hanging around? Have they been moved recently?

Quail stress out rather easily, and anything that stresses them out will keep them from laying.

We have a 1:5 male to female ratio! We did have a hawk around 2 weeks ago, but hasn’t been back since

Back
Top Bottom