Supposedly rare chicken??

I would believe that these are a project birds that an amateur breeder is working with, but everything about them screams that the breeder hasn't researched very well, and isn't practicing good husbandry.

Crooked toes are usually a nutritional deficiency in the mother hen that laid the egg. That being said, it can happen even in a professional's pens if the hen is bullied away from food. However, crooked toes are exceedingly easy to fix when the chick is just a few days old. The fact that the breeder chose not to is telling. Anyone who is developing a line of birds they intend to show (and eventually get put into the SOP) would be very concerned about correcting defects.

Also, the fact that the breeder is not referring to the coloration with correct terminology is also telling. The closest color these are to a standard color is crele. The breeder could very well be working on red barring (not sure, but I think it's genetically impossible actually. The best I believe you can do is a chocolate or blue bar, diluting the black gene. Cuckoo is another story), but selling the birds under the guise of what their end project goal is disingenuous.

For example, if I was trying to breed really really large D'Uccles, and I wanted to call them "Giant D'Uccles", I would by lying to my customers if I sold them "Giant D'Uccles when I'm still experimenting and developing. A D'Uccle that is just a foot and a half tall, as opposed to a foot tall, is not giant. It's a step in the right direction, but not what I'm claiming to sell. I personally don't feel a real breeder worth his/her salt would do that to their customers.

Not a Red Dominique!

The birds in question are just a Crele pattern cross breeds.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom