Surrendering to neighborhood dogs and neighborhood mentality (what to feed / supplement chickens tha

Meepbeep is correct.  Years ago we were told you could shoot a dog after livestock but you couldn't send it home wounded.
I'm just wondering what will happen after you build a run or fence in an area and the dogs are still hanging out on your property.  In most places, especially if you can capture and restrain the dog, animal control will pick it up.  In that case, especially f you mention the damage it caused, the owner must pay to get it back.

That's definitely good to know, thanks. And I wonder if animal control even deals with places that far out? Guess they must

We had a low voltage wire around the base of our grazing/day pen for our ducks. One poke and they have been dog free.
Our own dog got his lesson too. ; )

It is like a poke from their electric fence. I agree, just high enough for a duck to get under or chicken and the dogs will not be able to maneuver around it without the poke.

We have a solar powered power box we got from WI Farm and Fleet.

Well, you could allways adopt a Great Pyrenees. Those dogs are famous protectors of small defenseless animals. They are said to fight to the death to protect livestock, even fowl. I can't give first hand experience, but my dad's neibors keep two and claim they run off any threats. They are no good at protection from people though, they love people. If you read about the breed , it claims to be accurate info.

Well, you could allways adopt a Great Pyrenees. Those dogs are famous protectors of small defenseless animals. They are said to fight to the death to protect livestock, even fowl. I can't give first hand experience, but my dad's neibors keep two and claim they run off any threats. They are no good at protection from people though, they love people. If you read about the breed , it claims to be accurate info.

Adopting just any Pyr won't work... they need to be raised and trained around the livestock they are to protect, and unfortunately many of them are great for any except poultry/waterfowl...

Good idea, but it involves lots of time, investment and work...

That's true to! Puppys are a lot of work no matter what! It sure would not be a over night fix, but if you raised one with them, you would have a good investment. I would love to do just that, but I'm not ready for a puppy, so it wouldn't work for me, but Id take cloned copys of dad's neibors dogs any day! I'm jealous how well his system works!

I've had the same problem with my neighbors dog. I came home to 1/2 of my flock dead or mangled, My whole property is fenced very well but the dog found a way in. I called the sheriff and he came out, I showed him what happened. He said that the dog has to be inside my fence for me to shoot it, So I asked if I could mark it with a paintball gun so the owners would know it was down here and he said that would be a good idea. It has made for hard feelings with the neighbors since they denied it was their dog...My other neighbor saw the dog messing around at my house so I know it was the one. So try marking it with a paint ball too besides the hot fence..
yesss.gif

Adopting just any Pyr won't work... they need to be raised and trained around the livestock they are to protect, and unfortunately many of them are great for any except poultry/waterfowl...

Good idea, but it involves lots of time, investment and work...

And money. You forgot money. They're the size of small horses. So the food and where we live, heartworm prevention is needed, (for a dog that size probably close to 20 dollars a month and if you use spot on tick and flea repellent that can be $20 or so a month. )
And you might even have to buy, rent or borrow a larger car or truck to take them to the vet. Those dogs are huge.. All things to think of when deciding to get a dog, any dog.

Electric poultry fencing or a bigger run will be way less expensive than the cost and training time (two years?!) involved in having livestock guard dog(s). I wouldn't be good with neighbor dogs invading my space, and the neighbor would be paying for any damages. If my dogs, or any of my critters, got out and caused damage, I would be right there offering to pay up and fix everything. It's part of being a responsible owner. Some folks don't seem to get that! It's a shame that these dogs will need to pay the price for living with idiots. Mary

Back
Top Bottom