Surviving Minnesota!

I had been gone all day yesterday so Im staying home today and see what's happening in the garden, let the chickens free range with supervision. I went to Eden Prairie to Fridley and back home on one tank of gas.

Well I will be leaving soon . Going to help my grandson today . Got a list of tools to bring and his lawnmower needs carb cleaned . Yeah he should have watched me over the years . Could not get him interested .

Come and help me!

My sawmill engine is giving me fits. I think I might have a broken fuel pump. I assume it has a diaphragm pump. It has not been used for years so I assume it dried out and cracked.

More concerning is when I have the bowl filled and am pumping gas into it with an oil can, ant turn the key off it keeps running and does not shut off. It must be dieseling. But I am not sure why. It does not have a fuel shut off solenoid. When an engine sits for a few years so many things can go wrong.

I get a kick out the Hollywood writers with their movies, a car, plane or truck can have sat for 100 years and they get them running in 2 minutes or less. Maybe I need those people to help me.

I had been gone all day yesterday so Im staying home today and see what's happening in the garden, let the chickens free range with supervision. I went to Eden Prairie to Fridley and back home on one tank of gas.

I am going to Shakopee today and back, I hope I can do it on a tank of gas.... I am not allowing my SS chicks out to free range as no one will be home to supervise them. They will be so ticked off. I will let the PC chicks out, I think, the mother can watch them.

Good morning, folks.
I am heading down to the fair to put a 'for sale' sign on the whopping hatch of 9 chicks I got out down there. What a bad time for doing that. I set 40 or so, but it was that week we had that heat wave, so fertility was bupkis. Still, someone can get a nice little variety for their backyard flock. At least 2 are pullets, the 2 Wellies that got out. There is 1 NH, 3 EEs, 2 Wellies, 1 Salmon Fav bantam, and 2 Buckeyes. I would say that is a nice little mix. I sell them for $1 each and a minimum of 3 so no one just gets one to torture with their kids holding it. That happened the first year that someone bought one, turned and gave it to their kid who I am sure had it dead before they made it to the next barn. I decided then and there I wouldn't do that again!
It is the last day of the fair, so time to haul the birds and bunnies back that kids leased from me. It turns out the girl who leased the Buckeyes decided to take her market chickens instead, so looks like @holm25 might be the only Bucks up there. We shall see. I have 15 birds entered into Open Class, but the adults are looking rough right now, so maybe a couple less than that will be going.

I am thinking I might have made an error.

I found this in my rooster pen this morning:

As you can see it is a first egg by the weird shape. The egg is a light blue. The "rust" on it is from my placing it in my 4 wheeler glove box while I finished chores. The egg has a crack in on end so it is not edible. It is so large it had to hurt for a first egg.

I looked over all the roosters, and have decided I did not make a mistake they are still all roosters.

The blue color tells me it has to be CLB or EE or a mix. I have a PC/EE cross in there I thought was a rooster. I am wondering if it is a hen now. It looks like a rooster, PC. But I found the PC/EE mixes have very dark/black heads and shoulders. The tail is near non-existent. but the legs are real thick. I am confused, the thought of me making a mistake is unbearable!

Any Ideas?

Minnie, you forgot the next part of your story... After the chick died they came back to you and complained you sold them a sick chick.

I almost hate selling to a family that has never had chickens and has little kids, you know what the chicks fate is, and who they will blame for their own lack of chick raising knowledge ( heaven knows I would never accuse them of lack of parenting skills too).

Ralphie, the skunk walked out under his own power. I believe he may have had a tummy ache and went to his den to rest forever. More than that I dare not say.

If you shoot a skunk in the head it will spray, and if you pick a skunk up so none of his feet are on the ground it can still spray. I had a physics teacher in high school who learned that the hard way!

I dislike skunks. They dig holes in the lawn this time of year searching for grubs to eat, and I don't think that skunk tastes very good. Perhaps Jerry would have a better understanding of that?

Last edited:
I seem to recall someone trying that lift the feet off the ground and they can't spray too. Maybe they just lifted the feet too slow...
gig.gif

I am thinking I might have made an error.

I found this in my rooster pen this morning:

As you can see it is a first egg by the weird shape. The egg is a light blue. The "rust" on it is from my placing it in my 4 wheeler glove box while I finished chores. The egg has a crack in on end so it is not edible. It is so large it had to hurt for a first egg.

I looked over all the roosters, and have decided I did not make a mistake they are still all roosters.

The blue color tells me it has to be CLB or EE or a mix. I have a PC/EE cross in there I thought was a rooster. I am wondering if it is a hen now. It looks like a rooster, PC. But I found the PC/EE mixes have very dark/black heads and shoulders. The tail is near non-existent. but the legs are real thick. I am confused, the thought of me making a mistake is unbearable!

Any Ideas?

Check vents?

I mean the larger vent would have laid the egg, right??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom