Surviving Minnesota!

+6 to start the day, but the sun is visible. More snow in the double digits on the way tonight & Sunday ?
Curious as to how many here consistently view any sections other than this one ? I do not, as I find little information of value in them and this one provides good entertainment and some good information from time to time.

:frow I do.

Murray McMurray was one of the places I have a catalog for. Good to see you didn’t have issues!

Now on another note, I’m working on fixing/cleaning up the coop. It’s been at least two winter since it has been used that we know of. When cleaning old chicken litter/feathers/poop out of coop, is there a special disinfecting that needs to be done? Both windows are broken but I know we want to keep them for ventilation so we should replace instead of board up right? Lastly, is there a reason they picked pepto Bismol pink to coat the entire inside of the coop in, or Can I feel free to freshen it up with whatever color I choose?

Thanks for putting up with my questions.

I read an article/story several years ago that said prisoners in cells painted bubble gum pink were less violent. That certain color pink is a calming color. The interior of my coop is painted a very pale pink, I wanted a light bright interior but white is too glaring IMO. I do like the idea of pale green as well.

I read an article/story several years ago that said prisoners in cells painted bubble gum pink were less violent. That certain color pink is a calming color. The interior of my coop is painted a very pale pink, I wanted a light bright interior but white is too glaring IMO. I do like the idea of pale green as well.
Interesting. But pepto pink :sick
I would paint over it lol.

Okay so I’ll just use the leftover paint from the kids rooms. Some nice sherwin Williams is going in the chicken coop!

I do have to ask, I just got done talking to the local feed/landscaper guy and he had a few points I wasn’t sure about.

1. Only raise chicks in garage with a heat lamp. Our garage actually is not insulated whilst the coop is. Plus I am stuck on the MHP concept.

2. Raise the chicks on a meat bird feed until the meat birds are old enough to cull off and then switch to a multi-flock feed.

3. Wait until mid-March to even consider ordering chicks...

I’m even more confused now. I know y’all said to go with pullets but we can’t afford those every year (for meat birds) so we are going to just start with chicks and learn it this way for the yearly meat babies.

Okay so I’ll just use the leftover paint from the kids rooms. Some nice sherwin Williams is going in the chicken coop!

I do have to ask, I just got done talking to the local feed/landscaper guy and he had a few points I wasn’t sure about.

1. Only raise chicks in garage with a heat lamp. Our garage actually is not insulated whilst the coop is. Plus I am stuck on the MHP concept.

2. Raise the chicks on a meat bird feed until the meat birds are old enough to cull off and then switch to a multi-flock feed.

3. Wait until mid-March to even consider ordering chicks...

I’m even more confused now. I know y’all said to go with pullets but we can’t afford those every year (for meat birds) so we are going to just start with chicks and learn it this way for the yearly meat babies.

Heat lamps can cause fires . Use with caution . The coop is best if using heat lamps . That way you do not burn down the house . Check out other heaters . I use a small one I bought 30 years ago .

Meat birds must be babies or are not worth it...

We were talking layers, is my guess......but many time SOME on here have no idea what we were talking about 4 minutes ago...

Not me, of course, I am the resident Einstein.

Well we were talking both layers and meat for this season, I was just saying that next season when all we raise is meat birds, we won’t be doing pullets so we are trying to learn hatchlings now.

Back
Top Bottom