Surviving Minnesota!

Jerry, Bena has become too urban and developed to accommodate Bigfoot or Sasquatch any longer. Contrary to what the Jack Link commercials would lead one to believe, those creatures have moved further out to the vicinity of Togo and beyond.
I initially thought that Longville was closer to Brainerd, but research has confirmed it to be in the neighborhood of Leech Lake. That area is firmly in zone 3 I believe. Finding Blackberries which would be hardy there will require some doing. There are native Dewberries in that area I think, and many varieties of Raspberries will do very well there. Boyne, Nova and Polana are some I would recommend.
Quality eating apples are difficult to grow in zone 3 and have thrive for the long term. I have not had much problems with deer in most years, but they can be a problem in eating branch ends.
Wire protection for deer, rabbits and mice is much advised. The mice will actually work under the snow and completely girdle the tree if plastic protector or hardware cloth is not used as protection.
I do know that the apples can be grown successfully if properly sited and cared for, but at this time I am not aware of anyone succeeding with pears.

Jerry, Bena has become too urban and developed to accommodate Bigfoot or Sasquatch any longer. Contrary to what the Jack Link commercials would lead one to believe, those creatures have moved further out to the vicinity of Togo and beyond.
I initially thought that Longville was closer to Brainerd, but research has confirmed it to be in the neighborhood of Leech Lake. That area is firmly in zone 3 I believe. Finding Blackberries which would be hardy there will require some doing. There are native Dewberries in that area I think, and many varieties of Raspberries will do very well there. Boyne, Nova and Polana are some I would recommend.
Quality eating apples are difficult to grow in zone 3 and have thrive for the long term. I have not had much problems with deer in most years, but they can be a problem in eating branch ends.
Wire protection for deer, rabbits and mice is much advised. The mice will actually work under the snow and completely girdle the tree if plastic protector or hardware cloth is not used as protection.
I do know that the apples can be grown successfully if properly sited and cared for, but at this time I am not aware of anyone succeeding with pears.

Yes I am pushing the limits a little . Late variety pears last on the ground a long time for wildlife . Does anyone grow plums ? There are some rated zone 3 . The wild Canadian plum could be there .

Well got to get ready to take DW to dinner . Anniversary 46 today .

I have truly been hibernating today! The DH went out to his 'shop' and I caught him b4 he was out the door so he would bring in mail. Been at my computer doing Quickbooks most of the day. And the highlight is reading you guys!

Ralph - I am 'older' also but still get around pretty good - thank heavens. My DH is younger than me and I planned that. Do you know that men typically pass to the other side approximately seven years before a woman the same age. I told him we will 'go' at the same time. I think he wanted some time alone before he went. LOL. Too bad. Just get my new coop plans built.

I believe there are many growing plums and a few hardy varieties. I have never tried them as I don't care for plums. The small plums which are used for jelly & etc grow very well and are a good source of food for wildlife.
Happy anniversary, make sure you take good care of the wife as they are very difficult to train.

Yes I am pushing the limits a little . Late variety pears last on the ground a long time for wildlife . Does anyone grow plums ? There are some rated zone 3 . The wild Canadian plum could be there .

Well got to get ready to take DW to dinner . Anniversary 46 today .

My DDIL has apples and plums at their cabin near Aitkin and that is zone 3. She went to a seminar at an area orchard a couple of years ago and they told her enough info that she bought some more trees to try and was looking forward to it. Her garden at the cabin does fantastic. The one in the cities - not so much.

Happy, Happy anniversary.

Ralphie - how many years has Judy put up with you.

Back
Top Bottom