Surviving Minnesota!

I have two really old heating pads that were my Dad's at one time. I looked at heating pads while I was over in Monti running errands. They all automatically shut off after one or two hours. Another customer and I were talking and they told me that they all shut off now. So do yours Ralphie? I mean, since you bought them on Amazon are there a special name for Mama chicks heating pads? Not all shut off. the one I have is a sunbeam model 2013-912 it has a 2 hour shut off, but there is an over rise so it never shuts off.

Next, what if I were to use a plastic/vinyl (isn't plastic and vinyl the same thing?) kennel cover. It is small and has the holes on each side for venting. I would think it would heat up nicely and warm those little guys up. I am not sure. I have mine stitched to the wire frame with the fuzzy part to the chicks. I put press and seal food wrapping stuff around it to keep it clean What is a hens temperature anyway? 104 Anyone ever thought about that? YepHow would you know if you had a sick hen - besides the characteristics being displayed by the bird - if you did not know their temperature? I use my wives' thermometer. She will never know.

So as soon as my brooder warms up to room temp I am going to wash/disinfect it and then wait for chicks. Let me see. I bought six chicks to begin this adventure. Out of that original six one got sick. Three I raised to feed the eagles which left me with two. The two ISAs. Then I got two RIR then I purchased the BPR Roo and hen. So that brings me up to six total. Well, that fills up my run and coop for right now but . . . .

Now I am thinking about getting at least six more; two of this kind, two of that kind, and two of another kind. I have a plan on how to house them and where to put a run that is easy for me to build. After all, I am the one that dug out all the dirt, laid a fence, put in cinder block around the perimeter, and then put that kit coop/run together. I think in a few more years I simply will not be able to work that hard. What should have taken me two days to do in my forties now takes twice that long in my sixties.
So I figure I had been hurry up with my plans because when I am seventy the heavy stuff of hauling and digging will probably go away for seventy year old stuff that is taking over the life.

Sounds like you could use 40 more birds!

Our local feed store does not have their chicks in yet either. They are just getting the tanks out and some order forms and paper work but there is still lots left for them to get done before chicks arrive.
jumpy.gif
A road trip to a hatchery might be in order for Blanch.

Ralph, I love the thought that your granddaughter might have snuck in an egg!! And if that is the only one that hatches that is adorable and of course one you have to keep.

Back
Top Bottom