Surviving Minnesota!

Shannon1994 I was just wondering. They r beautiful birds but I hope to start breeding big birds like Buckeyes.
They are also beautiful birds I love the body shape and there short combs. It's great idea for the harsh winters here I have big problems with the big combed birds. They always freeze off they are in building's but there not heated. So all my birds run around with short Mohawk's lol.

We also have the same problem they circle but never even get close. We also have eagles doing the same exact thing it doesn't make sense. Were we used to live they tried all the time but now were we live they circle above but that's it. We live were fields surround us, is that the same for you.

Maybe they're buzzards/vultures
There is a lot of open space where I live but there are some trees that the chickens hang out in

Last edited:
Maybe they're buzzards/vultures
There is a lot of open space where I live but there are some trees that the chickens hang out in
Never really thought of that they possibly could be. Sometimes there so high there just a little dot. But the ones that come in eye's view those are hawks. But I guess I always assumed they were just hawks guess I will look closer thanks. Any problem's with owl's or blasted skunks it's like a swarm of skunks every year.
1f62c.png

It seems I have to have a leg band on my chickens if I want to show them this year. I do not want a leg band on my birds. Are there any that can be removed? Easy on and off?

No.

The bands need to be number and have to correspond with a test and a health certificate. Once the bands are on the only way to take them off is cut them off. Where you plan to show will make a difference.

If you just plan to show once have them tested and cut the band off after the show. The testing is only good for 90 days.

I will be transplanting the last of my tomatoes (about 8) tonight as I ran out of dirt the other night. then I can start on my biggest peppers.

The second tray of peppers is about 2 weeks behind but man they are tiny yet. they all came up quick and then have stalled out. I fertilized last night and hope that will help!

I planted a new batch of Jalepenos and Sweet 100 tomatoes last night too. out of 25 jalepenos in my first batch, I got 1 plant! that seller will not get my business again. this time I just went with Burpee varieties from the hardware store. I believe they are both hybrids (I think all sweet 100s are hybrids at that)

Oh and I made a goof. I picked up a plant off the clearance rack at Lowes last night (the peat pot was all busted up) thinking I was getting a rosemary plant. Turns out it is lavender! what the heck do you use lavender for? it is a nice plant but im not sure what to do with it now.
I don't know if I am remembering right or not but I think lavender (dried) is supposed to be good in the nest boxes to keep bugs out.

I fed chickweed to the chicks . They love it . Got a bucket of cherry tomato plant growing . About a foot high . Started them too early . I hate picking small tomatoes . Wife likes them . I eat whatever until the slicers are ready . Sun is coming out .
celebrate.gif
Small ones are great while mowing lawn, you just reach over, grab one and pop it in your mouth. Of course, the lawn beside the garden does tend to get mowed a few times more than the rest of the yard.

OK so the morels won't start then for awhile. Do the morels grow on other trees or just dead and dying trees and where would you find them in the woods. Would they be by trees or more out in the weeds.
They don't actually grow on trees, unless they are dead rotten ones on the ground. You usually find them on the ground beside dead trees.......

Sometimes they hide in the leaves, sometimes they pretend they are sticks or sometimes they are out sunning themselves in a little open patch, you never know what they are thinking so they are quite difficult to outsmart. If at all possible, take an experienced hunter with you, have them find one and show you what they look like, take a good whiff and remember what they smell like. Then have them point out a 3 x 3 ft area that has one in it and see if you can find it. Quite often while you are trying to spot the one they cornered for you, they will be picking a bunch all around you-don't let this distact you, you are a newb, just relax and soak in the experience. Once you see it in it's natural habitat, look at it from all sides before picking it. When you see how easily it can hide just by moving your head a little bit you'll understand better just how hard they are to capture. My Dad was a mushroom whisperer, he would sit down on a log and pretty soon they would just start popping up all around him. (He would then point them out for us kids to pick.) I try that trick now and find a few but never like he would. Good Luck to you!!!
wink.png

No.

The bands need to be number and have to correspond with a test and a health certificate. Once the bands are on the only way to take them off is cut them off.  Where you plan to show will make a difference.

If you just plan to show once have them tested and cut the band off after the show. The testing is only good for 90 days.

Okay thanks

We have to come up with a way to say *** without the stars. We could do donkey but that is just dumb. It has to be way cooler than asse, but that works. I mean asse hat is a favorite. You just can't go through life without it. Kind of like every comedian says poop. It's funny. Just like fart. Chicken farts even better. Don't you agree?

Last edited:
We have to come up with a way to say *** without the stars. We could do donkey but that is just dumb. It has to be way cooler than asse, but that works. I mean asse hat is a favorite. You just can't go through life without it. Kind of like every comedian says poop. It's funny. Just like fart. Chicken farts even better. Don't you agree?

I just use the British word,,Arse...

Speaking of that, What Arse void donkey poop head thought it would be alright to schedule us for single digit temps in mid April?

I checked on my chicks last night at around 10 the heat lamps were not doing their jobs, I had to lower them, the last group out from the other day were at 64 degrees, that is too cold for featherless little guys.

I have one chick out of the last hatch with a improperly aligned running gear, We had splinted her and took it off last night, I was waiting until this morning and was going to put the poor thing in the gas chamber. I went out to get the chamber and it was so cold I decided to let her have a few more hours before I have to put her down. It is just too cold out there for her last few moments.

Back
Top Bottom