Surviving Minnesota!

Ralphie, the stocking cap as a means to allow a chick to sit on your head and defecate has me concerned. I am seriously thinking about calling Jerry and requesting that he travel to Minnesota early, as I think a serious intervention may be in order !!
I suspect that Judy would be very willing to assist in setting up a surprise meeting ?!

Batten down the hatches as some seriously inclement weather is forecast for tonight and Monday above the Mn. Banana Belt !!

this makes perfectly good sense to me. It is Sunday I took my bath last night. It will be 2 weeks before my next bath day rolls around. Who in their right mind would want to go two weeks with chicken poop in their hair?

We are civilized down here in the Banana Belt mot like youse guys up in the tundra.

All I see is a glass that's refillable. Preferably with something a bit stronger than grape juice.
gig.gif

Oh boy... Real name? Ralphie been telling tales again?

Ahhhhhh now Banty - is your glass half full or half empty? What can YOU do to control the weather? There is always something that needs to be done no matter the weather so smile and get on with it. Silly girl with such a lovely real name.
I think Ivie has you mixed up with me. My real name is Lilly (well Lillian really).

On another note, anyone out there (besides me that is) a rock hound? Great show next weekend in Brainerd. Lots of fun, interesting things going on there.

I think Ivie has you mixed up with me. My real name is Lilly (well Lillian really).

I am so glad top see this as I was confused. The only name I know Banty by is banty or Nanook (her icelandic name) And the name of her lead dog.

Oh and if you told me you real name when we met, I must confess, I forgot it. I am bad with names and other things that require brain cells.

Last edited:
Hello and good afternoon everyone.

I got to free range my birds for the first time yesterday and my dog didn't eat them!!
1f603.png
1f605.png

I've been working with the dog for two years to get him to understand the birds are not squeaky toys or snacks.

I think Ivie has you mixed up with me. My real name is Lilly (well Lillian really). On another note, anyone out there (besides me that is) a rock hound? Great show next weekend in Brainerd. Lots of fun, interesting things going on there.
That makes sense. Funny how so many of us have similar usernames. :frow
I am so glad top see this as I was confused. The only name I know Banty by is banty or Nanook (her icelandic name) And the name of her lead dog. Oh and if you told me you real name when we met, I must confess, I forgot it. I am bad with names and other things that require brain cells.
Lead dog? I switched to chickens for pulling my sleigh long ago.

Afternoon everyone! Actually got outside today to do some outside work! The snow is coming though....I can feel it in my bones- arthritis ya know. It was 45 today but the wind was fierce and made it feel more like 30...I had to wear my carharts!

So the broody mommas have been free ranging yesterday and today... they had the chicks out in the barn area only twice today and probably realized it was too cold for the youngsters. They have spent the rest of the day in the coop. So far so good between the flock and the chicks. The mommas are even allowing some of the hens to come into the coop and lay! Yesterday they weren't allowed, it was really quite a sight to watch. The hens complained all afternoon!! Today though they let them in. No fights either that I saw. I finally started leaving them alone semi confident that the mommas would protect them. They will still get locked up at night though so nobody gets stepped on in the morning before I let them out. Apparently 6am is not early enough and they are a feisty bunch when I open that coop door!

Has anyone ever trusted leaving the coop door open into a locked run?

So now as promised (more like warned) picture overload!!! Took them yesterday when the sun was shining.

Piggy back riding on momma....

Almost a perfect mirror image!

you can almost see all 12 here...

Here's my little one I warmed up last week. There is a cream color to the fluff???

I love the coloring on this little one. Check out the feet, they have grey striped feathers on the bottom half and black on the top!

This is one of two chicks that are almost all black, even under neath is not light cream like the rest, more like a grey. Could they be Cochins fathered by the BR roo? Kind of like a backwards color combo?

Little Roo?

Cozy under mommas wing!

My favorite one again!

Here is my first one hatched...an almost black Cochin

A Cochin with Barred wings???

Here's my other all black one except he has a little white spot on his wings

Back
Top Bottom