Surviving Minnesota!

DSCN0696.JPG
house floor .jpg
Here are a couple of project pics . DW did not take many .

Welcome back klopklop. The BYC app no longer works as this is a whole new BYC. We were down for about 10 days while they worked on it. Now you just have to type in BYC on your browser to get here.
Nice house!!!

Ralphie found a thread on leg paralysis due to vitamins b deficiency. It's a neuropathy it sounds like and thiamine is the culprit. But a complex can't be a bad idea. But you did an injectible?! You're more 'advanced' than I am... don't be too tough on yourself. Mikes can't keep up to the stuff we've all done with chickens. Humbling to be a chicken owner... no matter the years of experience..,

Cluckies welcome back. Glad cluck cluck is in the clear! And congrats on being an auntie.

Ok, so for a technical dude, I am struggling! How the heck am I supposed to see when new posts have been made on the thread without hitting refresh all the time? it used to have that little tab that popped up on the bottom of the screen but not anymore?

Hey all. I slept in today and then just sat in my recliner, thinking about bacon and how Erlibrd just wasted some yesterday...I am still in shock over that.

We went to my cousin's cabin yesterday north of Mora, spent most the day dragging a rappala around the lake, no fish just Mike's and sun. Got home real late and slept like a log.

@KlopKlop I am so glad to see you back. There is a tab on the top that says watched threads, BUT you do have to refresh or click it I think... The house looks great, having been to your place and you telling me your plans, It looks better than it even sounded, I am impressed! Nice Job!

@chickmom3941 I think you are buying into a bag of manure that is not all truth being sold by the huge hatcheries and the media. As EJB said almost all the AI was (in Minnesota) was in the large poultry operations. I was told there was one case in a small backyard flock but that was right next to an infected huge poultry operation. NO one in the know will say, but I think the AI came from their hatcheries or feed supplies.

Many of us on here are NPIP licensed hatcheries on a very small scale. We test for everything the large hatcheries do and is some cases more. I test for AI every 3 months. Minnesota does not require chicks that are imported to be checked or come from AI tested sources. If a hatchery says they AI test, it could be once a year for all you know. They really do not want to know if their is a problem with their birds. I do, I know MnChickMom does, and I know Minnie does too. Destiny is a long time breeder and NPIP. Holm is not NPIP but he tests all his birds to NPIP standards, the main reason he is not NPIP is in he not 18 yet and cannot sign the legal papers for it.

Jerry is not only NPIP he is a creator of an APA breed He is a genetics genius in my book and he has forgotten more about chickens than most people will ever know.

No matter where you buy it is buyer beware, but I am semi-offended to hear you diss local bird suppliers. You can get them cheaper and better stock locally. Even those on the thread that do not test are pretty darn good about raising healthy birds.

With us you know if we are having a problem, we talk about it here. We solve them together here. I guess offended was the wrong word, Hurt is a better one... Don't be afraid to buy locally hatched birds just do a little due diligence first. You will be surprised in the difference in the birds. I started my line of PC with birds I got from EJB. They are an amazing line of PCs. I could have never gotten that quality of birds from a hatchery.

Sorry that got so long, you stepped on a small peeve of mine..:lau

@KlopKlop I am so glad to see you back. There is a tab on the top that says watched threads, BUT you do have to refresh or click it I think... The house looks great, having been to your place and you telling me your plans, It looks better than it even sounded, I am impressed! Nice Job!

Thanks, that means a bunch! With the new house going up, I have been also working on getting the rest of the farm cleaned up and organized so that it doesn't look like an eyesore with the new house haha

watching them tear down the old house with an excavator was a very, very satisfied thing :)

Hey all. I slept in today and then just sat in my recliner, thinking about bacon and how Erlibrd just wasted some yesterday...I am still in shock over that.

We went to my cousin's cabin yesterday north of Mora, spent most the day dragging a rappala around the lake, no fish just Mike's and sun. Got home real late and slept like a log.

@chickmom3941 I think you are buying into a bag of manure that is not all truth being sold by the huge hatcheries and the media. As EJB said almost all the AI was (in Minnesota) was in the large poultry operations. I was told there was one case in a small backyard flock but that was right next to an infected huge poultry operation. NO one in the know will say, but I think the AI came from their hatcheries or feed supplies.

Many of us on here are NPIP licensed hatcheries on a very small scale. We test for everything the large hatcheries do and is some cases more. I test for AI every 3 months. Minnesota does not require chicks that are imported to be checked or come from AI tested sources. If a hatchery says they AI test, it could be once a year for all you know. They really do not want to know if their is a problem with their birds. I do, I know MnChickMom does, and I know Minnie does too. Destiny is a long time breeder and NPIP. Holm is not NPIP but he tests all his birds to NPIP standards, the main reason he is not NPIP is in he not 18 yet and cannot sign the legal papers for it.

Jerry is not only NPIP he is a creator of an APA breed He is a genetics genius in my book and he has forgotten more about chickens than most people will ever know.

No matter where you buy it is buyer beware, but I am semi-offended to hear you diss local bird suppliers. You can get them cheaper and better stock locally. Even those on the thread that do not test are pretty darn good about raising healthy birds.

With us you know if we are having a problem, we talk about it here. We solve them together here. I guess offended was the wrong word, Hurt is a better one... Don't be afraid to buy locally hatched birds just do a little due diligence first. You will be surprised in the difference in the birds. I started my line of PC with birds I got from EJB. They are an amazing line of PCs. I could have never gotten that quality of birds from a hatchery.

Sorry that got so long, you stepped on a small peeve of mine..:lau
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I didn't know there were any breeders on here, and know nothing about the testing done by them. I was really thinking about people at the swap meets that you might see with a few chickens in a cage for sale, or someone on Craigslist giving away their chickens. I don't know if they take good care of their chickens or not or if the chickens are healthy or not. I'm not just going to acquire chickens from them and risk my small flock's health. If I knew good local breeders, I would certainly rather buy from them than the mail order hatcheries.

Last edited:
Hello Klop! Nice house!! Are you doing all of it yourself?

I did a 10 page report on AI. Very interesting topic. Basically it amounted to the large operations have amazing bio security, but most believe it is actually spread by humans not birds. Mainly because we are unknowingly transporting the virus. Something as little as poop on the bottom of a shoe. I could go on forever but do not have the time.

I may show at Hutchinson now. I am not sure, such hard decisions!! I would only take the cockerel, since no one else is in condition. I am not sure if I should show in Junior or Open though?

Back
Top Bottom